Power valves, taking it to the Dealer

bammbritt

So have decide to take the Pathy to the dealer to have the power valve screws checked and locktited. At the same time Im going to have them change the spark plugs since its an easy job due to the tear down for the screws.

My questions:

1. Is there anything that you would do as pre maintenance before this work, i.e. fuel or oil additives?

2. What the cost should be, taking into account its a combo job?

3. What other items should I add to this punch list to do at the same time? MAF? Throttle body? its an 2002 with 46,000 miles.

Thanks

This might increase the cost depending on how the dealer does things, but have them replace the PCV valve as well. It's under the lower intake manifold collector and is a PITA to replace. I don't know whether the dealer will remove the lower intake manifold to put threadlocker on the screws, but if they do it shouldn't be much extra cost.

Thanks TC, I read your posts about your trials and tribulations with the PCV valve, Ill ask the service manager and see what the extra cost will be. I was also thinking about the valve cover although Im not burning any oil. Im pretty tight with the service manager so Im looking for maintenance items that can be done that might take a little time, but won't really add to the bill.

I haven't had the work done yet but I was quoted in the 300-400 range with the spark plugs being done as well. It seems like a good deal since I plan on keeping her and it could take me another 10 years to hit 100,000 miles. :rolleyes:

If you do it yourself, it would be under $100, but then you have to have time etc. I presume you saw my how-to on this. $400 seems decent to me, I'd expect $500 locally.

Plugs are the main thing to do, PCV is the other. Maybe get the valve cover cleaned within an inch of it's life. Other might be to lube the accelerator and cruise control cables but that could be done anytime.

If the dealership doesn't seem savy about this (my local one looked at me like I had two heads as if it could never happen) then tell them what loc-tite to use and that they should let the loc-tite cure before re-starting the engine (24hrs? whatever the bottle says).

• 2 weeks later...

I did not have the PCV valve replaced, I was told the the valve is threaded and that I should just replace the valve cover and the PCV valve at the same time when I start to notice that Im burning oil, if that time comes as Im religious about my oil changes. I was out the door at 335 bucks with the the power valves, changing spark plugs ( I provided the plugs OEM from Amazon) throttle body cleaned, lubed throttle and cruise control cables, and an oil change. I also had the recall for the strut tower done. I need to find my next project for my Pathy now, any ideas??

I suppose that's a reasonable plan regarding the PCV valve, due to the baffle issue. Keep up with oil changes though, and hopefully this won't ever be an issue for you.

As for your next project, a small, simple, and relatively inexpensive one would be to replace the dash lights with LEDs.

th_IMG_0645.jpg

Edited by Towncivilian

Ditto on the PCV valve - I need the valve cover gaskets replaced on my 01 w/ 110k and was quoted

400.00 for the job so I bought a new passenger side valve cover

and PC valve to have them replace as long as they are in there anyway.

They now use a press in unit on the updated valve cover w/ a collar adapter instead of a threaded one.

Going to have the power valves re-done then as well. Previous original owner had all receipts

since it was new and he put a lot of money into her already which seems to have covered

the issues reported on this and other forums. New plugs @ 109k, 02 sensors, ecu re-flash, rear bushings,

shocks & struts etc. No rust or abnormal oil consumption so far.