possible HG

ANDY

okay i took my GFs car to a shop to have the timing belt water pump and seals changed and i drive it home and coolant is coming from the overflow tank now and i tried to see if it had a air pocket let it cool down add water and still it boils it out the overflow, and me and my buddy block tested it and it showed that it hydro carbons in the coolant the fluid from the tester was blue then turned yellowish-green, so i topped if back off and went around the block and its still coming out. do you think the shop should be held responsible? since they worked on it ? and the crappy part it is my work haha FML all i can do is laugh cause im so stressed now...

Edited by ANDY

If it didnt have that problem before they worked on it, I would take it back and explain whats going on. On a side note, get rid of that car ASAP. Had a 2001, same deal. Its a common problem, along with a ton of really bad automatic trannys. I talked to more than a few Honda techs, who basically explained that even if you replace the headgasket, there is a strong possibility the block is warped as well. So then you get to machine the block as well. One tech explained the way the OEM gasket was made is that it works as a one way valve sometimes when they go, so the gases get into the coolant, but never the other way around. It just basically keeps boiling out the overflow.

yeah i was reading some stuff about that but yeah i hope my boss will work something out with us well actually the gf kinda nervous to go to work monday cause she was going to call him but if we do get it fixed might try to get a Xterra or another civic cause of gas but yeah just wanted to see what other people would say if they were in this scenario.

Edited by ANDY

drop a low milage jdm motor price is about the same and the jdm motors hold together a little better, the issue with the civic and the d15 and d17 are the sleeves get oval shaped and the head gasket never seals correctly, and any one that does a hg on a civic and dosnt check the deck is a fool and should never touch a tool, also the thermostat could be stuck since you mentioned t-belt and water pump work were performed

I'm thinking thermostat also or bad defected waterpump; I have a 88' Prelude and did everything you have done to your car. Overheating like that start with the easy fix. Thermostat,radiator, waterpump then the dreaded heatgasket. If the heatgasket was fine before the service then something else happen ie..bad waterpump,timing belt out of time but it would run like crap, very noticable.

also flush the coolant system well, they may have left a few chunks of gasket in the system and its pluging up the flow, i have seen this a few times, possibly t-stat is backwards lol, if the hg is blown make damn sure the the block is decked and the cyclinders checked and rebored/reringed if it not tits, other wise your chasing your tail, cheapest way is the jdm way get a whole swap if you can as the jdm ecu's makes more power compared to its usdm counter-part, if this wasnt like this before the repair i say make them fix it at there expense due to fault in craftmanship.