R50 Balljoint Replacement - Step by Step HELP!

pkmcd99

2003 R50, auto-locking hubs, I need to replace the ball joints on it ASAP. I am un familiar with the process, HELP. Please give me a step by step procedure starting after the vehicle is secure on jack stands and the wheel is off.

Obviously Im mechanically inclined to an extent. Im noticing the entire spindle assembly needs to be removed, ugh. My main concern is the internals of the hub, how is the cv locked in the spindle? I need to pull it out so I can pull out the ball joint, as it is hitting the shaft and doesnt have the clearence! After I remove the 6 nuts from the outside of the hub and pop off the dust cover, I then removed the snap ring, do I need to do anything further? Do I remove the two screws and plate, then the weird 12 hole nut or will the shaft slide out without that stuff removed?

As far as I remember, keep the 2 screws and plates on. I have manual hubs so i dont remember much of the auto. In order to remove the CV shaft you need to disconnect the lower A arm (i think?). One bolt in the front, and two in the rear. Once that is disconnected and lowered (stack up blocks of wood so that the arm doesnt fall to the concrete and ruin the balljoint), remove the 6 bolts that hold the CV to the front diff. then just pull the CV out.

hope this helps

Edited by Phantom01Pathfinder

• 2 weeks later...

As far as I remember, keep the 2 screws and plates on. I have manual hubs so i dont remember much of the auto. In order to remove the CV shaft you need to disconnect the lower A arm (i think?). One bolt in the front, and two in the rear. Once that is disconnected and lowered (stack up blocks of wood so that the arm doesnt fall to the concrete and ruin the balljoint), remove the 6 bolts that hold the CV to the front diff. then just pull the CV out.

hope this helps

Your method worked well, my ball joints have been replaced now. Thank you so much.