KYB GR-2 part # differences?

Nissan3

hey guys

So I got all the parts to do my OME lift on my pathy. As I was looking through the parts I noticed autopartsway sent me struts with part #'s 335030/335031 which according to KYBs website is for the 98-01 r50s and my 2003 needs 335032/335033. My question is are there any differences between these struts? can I just use what autopartsway sent me?

Feedback would be much appreciated as I want to get this stuff installed asap.

thanks

Edited by Nissan3

Yes there is a difference with the threaded part at the top of the strut. 2002+ has longer thread for the deeper strut mount. if you are using your oem strut mount the 335030/335031 won't fit. the kyb strut mount(which is garbage) will fit both it comes with a spacer. i bought wrong ones years ago from 4x4parts(not sure of part #) and had to have strut mounts machined down to fit.

i bought wrong ones years ago from 4x4parts(not sure of part #) and had to have strut mounts machined down to fit.

Same here. However, we ground mine down as opposed to paying a machine shop to do it. Took all of six minutes for both sides.

Yes there is a difference with the threaded part at the top of the strut. 2002+ has longer thread for the deeper strut mount. if you are using your oem strut mount the 335030/335031 won't fit. the kyb strut mount(which is garbage) will fit both it comes with a spacer. i bought wrong ones years ago from 4x4parts(not sure of part #) and had to have strut mounts machined down to fit.

...Damn. Well I got the strut mounts from monroe, it also came with that spacer you mentioned so I guess these mounts shouldn't be a problem with these struts.

...Damn. Well I got the strut mounts from monroe, it also came with that spacer you mentioned so I guess these mounts shouldn't be a problem with these struts.

not to sound like a jerk, but it sounds like you just volunteered to be the first to tell us whether monroe is a dependable manufacturer for strut mounts. :itsallgood:

if you are worried... how difficult would it be for you to return the -030/-031 struts back to AutoPartsWay and get the correct -032/-033 struts?

I purchased mine (although 2001 Qx4) from Amazon.com and they are pretty cool about taking returns for the wrong parts ordered, let alone the free shipping! :jig:

Edited by Qx4donald

not to sound like a jerk, but it sounds like you just volunteered to be the first to tell us whether monroe is a dependable manufacturer for strut mounts. :itsallgood:

if you are worried... how difficult would it be for you to return the -030/-031 struts back to AutoPartsWay and get the correct -032/-033 struts?

I purchased mine (although 2001 Qx4) from Amazon.com and they are pretty cool about taking returns for the wrong parts ordered, let alone the free shipping! :jig:

yeah I'm really taking a chance with these monroes, but the shop I am using to install the coils and such say they're great and should last me, plus they were about 40 bucks cheaper a side then what my local nissan dealerships quoted me on OEM mount and bearing. But I will definitely keep posted on how they hold up.

Autopartsway will take them back, but I know i'll have to wait well over a week before i get the right ones and I'm to impatient haha. I just want to get these coils on! But i contacted KYB and they pretty much told me the only difference between the struts is the location of the ABS sensor bracket which isn't that big of a deal, the guy installing them told me he can come up with something to hold the wire down.

...i contacted KYB and they pretty much told me the only difference between the struts is the location of the ABS sensor bracket which isn't that big of a deal, the guy installing them told me he can come up with something to hold the wire down.

haha, yeah, I'm impatient too, so I can understand :puterpunch: ... I would have worried about having the wrong suspension part underneath, but since you said KYB gave you the thumbs up, I guess you don't have much to worry about.

And about the "ABS" sensor thing-a-ma-jiggy. When I installed my GR-2's on my 2001, the ABS sensor didn't fit properly either.

The OEM strut has a "C" shaped bracket for it to slip into. Much like what the brake-line bracket looks like.

The KYB GR-2 has a bracket, but it's just a hole.

So, since I coudn't slip it into the hole, I just zip tied the ABS line to it to keep it from dangling all over the place.

You can see it from this Amazon KYB picture of the -030 (ie passenger side) strut.

It's that rectangle bracket that extends out at the base of the strut.

41NCrfL0x-L._SS500_.jpg

From top of strut down, the brackets are "sway bar link", "brake line", "ABS sensor line".

Edited by Qx4donald

Well I got everything installed on friday, had a slight issue with the monroe mounts as the mechanic didn't use the provided spacers and so there was a gap between the nut and mount resulting in it clunking, just one thing to watch if you're looking to use the monroes. But got that fixed yesterday. The struts worked out perfectly just had to use a zip tie to hold down that abs sensor. But the pathy feels a heck of a lot better with the new shocks and OME coils. Hoping those monroe mounts and bearings will hold up!

Have you just lifted the front? Glad the struts worked out for you.

Thanks man, Yeah I was glad too didn't want to have to go through the hassle of returning them. I did the rears as well, KYB's all around and the HD OME coils up front and MD in the back. Ended up getting 2.5" of lift all around!