Could it be the fuel filter

findmypath

Hi Guys,

I have a interesting question for all of you and I'm curious if any of you have experienced it?

About a few weeks ago I was driving and out of nowhere I had no power. The engine was running normal at idle but when put in Drive the car had no acceleration. For it to reach 30 MPH it took a good 13 seconds or so. And the engine didn't rev high either. The trans shifted normally but there was no kick like normal. So, I barely made it home..parked it on the driveway and let it sit for a little. Then after about 2 hrs I started it back up and the car ran fine. I called my mechanic and he said that it wouldn't be a good idea to change the fuel filter as the first step. So I did but then he and I were chatting about the issue and he thinks it could be also the mass airflow sensor.

Did any of you have this issue? Let me know.

Thanks.

Pretty sure it's a bad distributor. Try and swap it with a known good one or get a new one at Advanceauto.com with lifetime warranty. Also do a search for online coupons for 20% off.

VQ35DE doesn't have a distributor, rick88ss.

The fuel filter is $14-ish for an OEM filter. Guide on changing is here. If you're running the original filter, you may want to change it anyway. Also try cleaning the MAF sensor.

VQ35DE doesn't have a distributor, rick88ss.

The fuel filter is $14-ish for an OEM filter. Guide on changing is here. If you're running the original filter, you may want to change it anyway. Also try cleaning the MAF sensor.

How does one clean a MAF sensor? Maybe its obvious how to do it but I rather ask since those things aren't cheap if they break during a cleaning.

Thanks.

You will need a tamper-resistant T20 Torx bit to remove the two Torx screws that secure the MAF sensor. Then liberally spray some MAF cleaner on the visible wires and I guess the female harness end. Be sure to disconnect the negative battery cable before disconnecting the MAF sensor.

Edited by Towncivilian