recommendations please for removing heavy varnish

schro

I've removed the rocker covers in preparation for doing the timing belt, and the varnish build-up is gross!

Before draining the oil I used an engine flush, but it doesn't seem to have done much.

I have the front diff and carrier removed because I've also dropped the tranny, so I'm not concerned about any product running down through the oil channels, since the oil pan is accessible to be removed. My only concern is that the product is safe for the valve stem seals etc.

I tried using the engine flush full strength applied with a brush to the rockers to little avail. Likewise varsol applied with a brush didn't work very well either. Both methods removed small amounts of the varnish, but this method would be very time consuming and tedious.

Can anyone suggest a practical solution?

I know some folks ran straight transmission fluid to clean up the sludge but that took some time. ATF has buttloads of detergents IIRC. Or you could just use WD40 and brush. Have you ever used seafoam?

Edited by Cuong Nguyen

I used coleman fuel (camp fuel (naptha based solvent)) and a brush. This will thin the ........ out of the oil so you better drain it and fill with fresh when you are done.

If you have the heads off, use easy-off oven cleaner max (non-lye formula). AWESOME clean but wille at the metal if left on too long.