Dual Battery Setups

SRN

OMG Dude!

Your battery negative side is OK of course :tongue: What we did (Being the 4wd place under my watchful eye) was chop off the positive battery clamp. A stainless nut and bolt was used to connect it in line with a fat power cable to the Redarc isolator. The lot was then insulated with electrical tape and sits neatly under the cruise control unit. This keeps battery connections to a minimum. Conduit, heat shrink, and stealth can make any job look neat.

Hmmm...can't tell without physically tracing where stuff goes. The two black connectors are factory but the rest is anyone's guess from this angle. I wish I had a picture prior the dual battery install for you. I have a 1994 Aussie TI which may be different anyway. There wasn't anything on my positive battery terminal except the two big connectors. I added driving lights and an alarm which are the fat and skinny red wires you can see in my pics. Everything else connected to your battery I would consider aftermarket. Easy way to find out is to trace the wiring back to its destination or disconnect all but the two factory connectors and see what stops working.

Yea that's kind of what I was thinking - there is a keyless system and the previous owner had a huge 5000 watt amp connected to it so who knows what tomfoolery he did to the electrical system...... oh and there's a pushbutton start on the dash (!?!?) of course that requires a key to be in the on position for it to work.... Anyways great setup!

Thanks dude. The fact that it all hangs off your battery is the main problem, but also gives you a single point to start the search. I have always used the motto "keep it simple stupid" when doing mechanical/electrical mods to any of my vehicles. I was crazy enough to strip back the unnecessary wiring out of my old race car back in the 1980s when I didn't have a wife and kids to soak up my time. I then re-wrapped back up with the original tape (tight (|) I was) and behold the floor pan was full of unnecessary wire. It simplified any further mods or repairs and saved a bit of weight. I couldn't believe all worked first time. Less is more!

Yes I totally agree- both the ground cable and the positive cables need to be replaced and probably the battery too... 1 wire from both - & + run to the bottom of the engine near the front so I wonder if its a part of the push button start... I'll try disconnecting one to see if it stops working as I never use it! And I might upgrade the alternator while I'm at it with one from a maxima or whatever puts out more amps... cheers