4in SFD rear shocks suggestions

bro_die

Im getting the 4in sfd from krfabs soon and need some suggestions for the rear shock.

Il say it again this is my first 4wd vehicle ive been a racing fan my whole life and never played

in the dirt, mud or climbing. What shocks do you guys suggest that will work best and the best bang

for my buck. Thanks in advance for your replies and help. I know there alot here that had

used this kit before so a little advice will be greatly appreciated.

I run Rancho RS5000's that were for a 2000 F250 2wd with 2" of lift. I had to cut the rubber bushing wit the metal sleeve out of one side and push in a regular bushing and they fit like a charm. Haven't had any trouble with them other than one time I over torqued them and busted the mount so I had to get a new one.

Muddfildvaynes, how did you decide that the f250 shock was the right shock for your application? Bro_die, if you see me ask a question that gets this off topic, please let me know. Also, are you just looking for what brand of shock to run or what specs as well? Does doing only a SFD require a different length shock? Seems rear shocks are not a real common topic on the forum unless I've missed the threads.

Muddfildvaynes, how did you decide that the f250 shock was the right shock for your application? Bro_die, if you see me ask a question that gets this off topic, please let me know. Also, are you just looking for what brand of shock to run or what specs as well? Does doing only a SFD require a different length shock? Seems rear shocks are not a real common topic on the forum unless I've missed the threads.

Well when I initially got my SFD the F250 shocks were recomended to me by Shift220 who builds the SFD's as that is what he runs I believe. He originally recommended a brand like Gabriel but I did not think it was a good enough shock and liked how my Rancho's performed with my 2" lift so I did some research and found out how low my axle will drop and how long the shocks are fully extended and the shocks for a 2000 F250 with a 2" lift in Rancho was a perfect match for my 6" of lift in the rear with custom coils; plus it is a heavy duty shock if it is meant for a F250. They had ones for the same vehicle with 4" lift and they were too long. Then I just had to modify the bushing in the shock to be able to bolt on, as they came with bushings with metal sleeves in them. I cut the old bushing out and put a new one back in and it has worked perfect for me for awhile now. The shock length you will need depends on the ammount of lift you put in the rear, and how much flex you want it to have; the longer the shock the more flex but you don't want them too long.

I do not have the number off hand, I just went to Advanced Auto Parts store which is local here in NH and order a set of Ranchos's for a 2000 Ford F250 with 2" lift. You could also go to their website, google it.

Edited by muddfildvaynes

I run Rancho RS5000's that were for a 2000 F250 2wd with 2" of lift. I had to cut the rubber bushing wit the metal sleeve out of one side and push in a regular bushing and they fit like a charm. Haven't had any trouble with them other than one time I over torqued them and busted the mount so I had to get a new one.

Nice exactly what I was looking for. Im pretty sure theres others there that used different brand of shocks and would kindaly chime in so noone would ask in the future.

Its kool im not the type of person that gets angry when people start asking questions on thier thread its both for mine and everybody else benifits. IM looking for brand choices and specs like what will fit and what wont fit after the 4inch sub frame drop. Those part numbers would be great thanks for the reply. Any other brand of shocks used out there iom pretty sure there is and just waiting to be discovered.

Well when I initially got my SFD the F250 shocks were recomended to me by Shift220 who builds the SFD's as that is what he runs I believe. He originally recommended a brand like Gabriel but I did not think it was a good enough shock and liked how my Rancho's performed with my 2" lift so I did some research and found out how low my axle will drop and how long the shocks are fully extended and the shocks for a 2000 F250 with a 2" lift in Rancho was a perfect match for my 6" of lift in the rear with custom coils; plus it is a heavy duty shock if it is meant for a F250. They had ones for the same vehicle with 4" lift and they were too long. Then I just had to modify the bushing in the shock to be able to bolt on, as they came with bushings with metal sleeves in them. I cut the old bushing out and put a new one back in and it has worked perfect for me for awhile now. The shock length you will need depends on the ammount of lift you put in the rear, and how much flex you want it to have; the longer the shock the more flex but you don't want them too long.

So the shocks for the F260 with 2inch lift is perfect for your 6in of lift hows about it to a 4in of lift only you think itll still do good or will i tbe too high or long.

Edited by bro_die

I use ProComp ES9000 - 929500 from summit. I think they're like 30 bucks or something and work really well.

Yep, I did the same - ES9000's. I just made sure the Extended/Compressed lengths looked appropriate and I know several people that run these and love them. $32 each at 4 Wheel Parts in Denver - sweet deal.

My recommendation (and I am no expert) is to find a shock you like/can afford and then research the lengths to make sure it fits your particular application. I think a good guess for a SFD that is NOT "stacked" on a 2" coil spring lift would be a shock that doesn't extend more than 26-27". I'm not sure about compression length, but maybe something around 15". Again, just a guess for your application of a 4" SFD only.

I use ProComp ES9000 - 929500 from summit. I think they're like 30 bucks or something and work really well.

thank you for another great suggestion. This is what im talking about a thread thatl actually help others instead of bashing them that they dont know crap. Ill look into those shocks and shockingly thats a cheap price. By the way did you have nto do some modifications on the mounts the the above mentioned rancho shocks?

Yep, I did the same - ES9000's. I just made sure the Extended/Compressed lengths looked appropriate and I know several people that run these and love them. $32 each at 4 Wheel Parts in Denver - sweet deal.

My recommendation (and I am no expert) is to find a shock you like/can afford and then research the lengths to make sure it fits your particular application. I think a good guess for a SFD that is NOT "stacked" on a 2" coil spring lift would be a shock that doesn't extend more than 26-27". I'm not sure about compression length, but maybe something around 15". Again, just a guess for your application of a 4" SFD only.

Thanks you too. Yeah ill try the 4in first and if I want to go any higher in the future then well see what the pocket has to say. Im getting closer and closer everyday to getting this holefully i get everything done before those offroad rigs from teh mainland get here so I can check them out at the trails. Oh yeah, our mud and trials here are way different compared to waht you guys go through there. We have major mud problems and our mud here is not like dirt earth with water it gets to a clayish material its hard to explain but very slippery and by the looks of it you cna almost make pottery out of it.

Edited by bro_die

I installed the pro comps on dududuckling's 2000 R50 with no modification. My '98, only needed a sleeve to take up the space between the shock mount and the bushing on the shock.

This is what im talking about a thread thatl actually help others instead of bashing them that they dont know crap
Amen Brother!!!! hahahahahhaa

I installed the pro comps on dududuckling's 2000 R50 with no modification. My '98, only needed a sleeve to take up the space between the shock mount and the bushing on the shock.

Amen Brother!!!! hahahahahhaa

Thanks for another suggestion. Ill stick to something that has been done before and worked quite well for them. Oh yeah dont mind the vote your reply down thingy I accdentally clicked it when trying to click reply so please dont be offended. The price on these shocks are shockingly cheap nice I like it. Thanks once more.

Are the rear shocks on the 01+ 14mm on the axle side and 12mm on the body side (opposite of the 96-00?)

Actually, I thought they were the same - wider on the body side than on the axle. I know that my Rancho 9000's fit at the axle but needed the body-side mounts to be "persuaded" (compressed) a little to make a tight fit on the shock.

Haven't measured, but maybe I can when I install the rear components next weekend.