Rear end shimmy/shake on '97 SE

Guest bowenlaw

Guest bowenlaw

my '97 se, manual recently developed a horrible rear-end wobble that occurs at 60mph+ when accelerating. from what i've learned in checking out this message board and others is that the likely cause is the bushings in the rear lower control arm (trailing arm?). i'm just looking for some clarification on this, as i won't be doing any of this myself and want to know exactly what needs to be done. from what i've gathered, the bushings can be replaced without replacing the entire arm? but a press is required? are shops willing to do this or will they just want to replace the entire arm? does anyone know how much it costs to replace just the bushings? the whole arm?

he bushings can be replaced without replacing the entire arm?

Yes

but a press is required?

Yes, especially for the polys

are shops willing to do this or will they just want to replace the entire arm?

If they have the equipment, most shops will do the install. However, I encountered a few places that didn't want to press in my polys because they've had trouble with those in the past. But it all worked out fine for me in the end

does anyone know how much it costs to replace just the bushings?

Poly or rubber? For the stock Nissan rubber ones, check with the dealer (and maybe some online factory parts vendors?). For the polys, go to 4x4parts.com, click on suspension and then polyeurethane parts.

he whole arm?

Check with the dealer ;)

• 3 weeks later...

I seem to be having the same problem with my '97 SE. I did the simple things... rotated and balanced my tires- that didn't work. I've checked the bushings and had them checked-they're fine. Replaced my old shocks (it was about time anyway)and still have the same problem. it's gotten increasingly worse over a three month period and i'm getting concerned. (plus i've a big road trip coming up). so if anyone has any ideas...i'm listening.

Are you sure you checked the correct bushings? And are you sure they're OK? Sometimes you can't go by looks alone. Mine were worn enough that I could feel play in the control arm under only my hand power, but they looked OK. The bushings you need to look at are the ones in the 'dog bones' attached to the front of the rear axle, near the shock mounts, attaching to just behind the midsection of the underbody. If you did all of this correctly, and have replaced the shocks, the only thing I can think of is the struts are shot. :shrug:

well, big johnson, I guess one can't be entirely sure. I'll check again. I'm taking her back to the mechanic this afternoon to have a pulley put on and I'll have them double check.

and the struts could be shot. I'll check that out too.

thanks for the input.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest bowenlaw

i had the rear lower trailing arms replaced on my '97 SE - and the problem is solved. dealer wanted to replace the upper trailing arms too, but it doesn' appear necessary