What are these connections under the rear bumper?

Panbacca

I've just started exploring the underside of my 2003 lately, and I came across these interesting pieces.

One just looks like a canister, which is dangling there with some sort of drain tube coming out of it. The other is a tube going up underneath the bumper where it seems to me like it has been cut.

Anyone have any idea what these are?

Can someone post a picture of theirs for comparison?

This is under the DRIVER SIDE rear bumper.

1y03gw.jpg

2vxr3ph.jpg

The drain on the left side is normal, just a air/water vent I guess.

The other big item is the evap canister. It basically stops the fumes from the gasoline evaporating from entering the atmosphere. The system will purge the container at certain times and burn the fumes through the engine. I don't really know if it should be hanging like that, I have a 96.

The part that is hanging by the hoses, is a water seperator. Its supposed to be attached to the bracket just abouve it in your picure(with the square hole). As stated, its for your evap system. It may have been worked on at some point in time. The canister is known to come apart and have small charcoal "beads" sucked up to the intake mainfold. Someone was just sloppy putting it back together.

The other is a drain for your sunroof.

Edited by 5523Pathfinder

The part that is hanging by the hoses, is a water seperator. Its supposed to be attached to the bracket just abouve it in your picure(with the square hole). As stated, its for your evap system. It may have been worked on at some point in time. The canister is known to come apart and have small charcoal "beads" sucked up to the intake mainfold. Someone was just sloppy putting it back together.

The other is a drain for your sunroof.

Thank you for the information. Now I can at least put my mind at ease. haha. I'll probably zip-tie that canister so it's not just hanging there.