Hello from a newbie!

RallyJeff

Hi, all.

I just registered and thought I'd introduce myself.

Here's my Pathfinder story so far: a friend of mine has had a 1988 Pathfinder for years and years. He recently took it off the road because of a few minor(-sounding) mechanical issues. Now, he and his wife are moving, and he doesn't have space or the need for a second vehicle... so he very kindly offered it to me.

My plan is to fix it up and get it back on the road. I'm an amateur rally co-driver, and it would be very handy for my team to have a proper tow vehicle to haul around the rally car (Subaru... sorry :( ) instead of begging and borrowing as we've been doing so far. The fact that it should be able to be pressed into service as a recce vehicle on even the roughest of rally roads is an extra bonus.

As it stands now, it needs a new cat, power steering pump, and trailing arm bushings. Aesthetically, it could use a front fender. Hopefully nothing that I can't handle as a ham-fisted shadetree mechanic - I've had three Dodge Caravans in a row, so I'm used to doing car repairs! :D

I'll probably be lurking in the technical forums here over the next little while, looking for tips and tricks as I work through my to-do list.

Welcome Jeff, and congrats on the Pathy!!

The pathy should be able to handle towing a stripped rally car reasonably well and will have no problem as a rescue vehicle. Hell, they are used for that all the time to rescue Jeeps and Toyotas with the occasional American Big 3 and Xterras thrown in.

So, some heads up. Timing belt!! What is the mileage, yours should be done every 60,000 miles. When in doubt, change it!! Check out the How To section for do's and dont's.

If it is an automagic, bypass the stock radiator and install an aftermarket unit. Bigger the better. If it is a manual, overfill the tranny to 5.1 liters as per the TSB posted in the Garage/TSB section.

Be sure to check the Classifieds/Parts for Sale section for th occasional deals and part outs. :beer:

B

Welcome Jeff, and congrats on the Pathy!!

The pathy should be able to handle towing a stripped rally car reasonably well and will have no problem as a rescue vehicle. Hell, they are used for that all the time to rescue Jeeps and Toyotas with the occasional American Big 3 and Xterras thrown in.

Yeah - I've looked up the specs online and it looks like it has the capacity to handle an open car hauler. It should be at least as capable as the borrowed Astro we've been using so far.

So, some heads up. Timing belt!! What is the mileage, yours should be done every 60,000 miles. When in doubt, change it!! Check out the How To section for do's and dont's.

I believe the mileage is 200-something km (124,000+ mi). I'll know for sure after I pick up the beast this weekend.

I'm not sure offhand when the timing belt was last changed, but I can probably find out - the Pathfinder's been in my friend's family since it was new.

If it is an automagic, bypass the stock radiator and install an aftermarket unit. Bigger the better. If it is a manual, overfill the tranny to 5.1 liters as per the TSB posted in the Garage/TSB section.

It's a 5-speed manual. Thanks - I already saw all the warnings about the fill level.

Be sure to check the Classifieds/Parts for Sale section for th occasional deals and part outs.

Of course! :D

All good - the timing belt and tensioner were done 40,000 km ago, so I'll be fine for at least a year or two.

Actually, they were meticulous about keeping service records - the truck came with a full-to-bursting binder with all the receipts from every service for the past 22 years since the thing was new.

:welcome:

Pics are needed asap. :)

And here they are! I've started a thread:

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=27826