adjustable shocks?

Guest pathynewbie

Guest pathynewbie

this might be off-topic but whats the deal with the adjustable suspension??? could i just use regular shocks as a replacement??? my new (used) pathy has the button for the suspension what gives???

Rich

92 pathy SE

The stock adjustable shocks have two settings, Sport and Touring. Sport makes them a little bit stiffer, Touring makes them soft. The only replacement adjustable shocks you can buy are from the Nissan dealership. You CAN replace them with standard non-adjustable shocks no problem, just unplug or cut off the wiring that goes to the stock shocks.

I also have a 92SE with the adjustable shocks...What size/brand etc. do I need to get to fit an otherwise basically stock truck? I have a winch w/ pushbar/brush guards on the front that adds to the weight it has to carry there...

Thanks

Shocks don't help carry loads, they merely dampen the rebound of the torsion bars or springs as your vehicle moves over bumps while driving. There's no real ONE shock absorber that's the best, buy whatever you want. Ranchos are real good for taking hard bumps and hits, but otherwise ride kinda stiff. Gas-charged Monroes are good for overall road ride and handling...and so on. There are about a thousand shock absorber companies out there. Do some research.

Sorry for the unclear question and misuse of the word "carry". I understand that the shocks dampen the rebound. My point in including the info about the winch etc...was that I do not know if that additional weight (additional resistance to the rebound?) is figured into the equation when considering what aftermarket shocks might work for my rig. Obviously I am a noob here cause it says so <-- over there, but I am also new to this whole re-rigging your truck thing too. I love my '92SE 4X4 which I bought new in '92 and want to start some basic and simple modifications. I like my 31-inch shoes but would not mind a little lift. Can I get that from just new shocks? I like the "sport" setting on the adjustable stock shocks but a little stiffer would be ok too. I do some mild off-roading and some snow/ice driving occasionally crawling over downed trees or short stumps but never serious rock climbing. Do you have any shock make/model recommendations or tried and true favorites that would fit this bill? Thanks for the help,

Cachefinder