meter fuse keeps burning......help plz..!

arty

so it started when I was driving back home on the freeway when all of a sudden my rpm gauge and mph gauge drop n my trucks starts showing a lite battery light and my truck starts to sound and feel forced like the transmision is not grabbing my motor will rev up but won't move to far ...so I check my fuses n my meter fuse is burned I switch it out n it starts rite up n is normal again .....I drive less than a mile n the same problem accurs .......I need help with this one guys anything is apreciated thank you in advance

You gotta short in a wiring harness somewhere I bet......just a tip on something I found on my pathy.......some idiot who replaced the O2 sensor at some point and time before I owned the truck didn't put the wiring harness back in its bendy clips and zip tie points along the way which also ran the same path as all the transmission wires (harness) that runs back up into the engine compartment from underneath the truck on the battery side of the pathy. Look under your truck on the passenger side near the tranny and follow your harness back up to the engine compartment. There's like 4 connections of wires plus your 02 sensor wire that goes over the tranny and then follows the other wires if it's like mine. If it's not secured right, it will run smack dab into the exhaust down pipe and the harness will start to melt against it. Mine was starting to, and luckily a fuse popped and started acting like your truck did, before all the wires got melted. A fuse melting is a short. You have to find what circuit it is exactly on a schematic and see where it goes and find the short. Don't keep replacing the fuse, or the harness will melt and you'll have bigger problems or possibly a fire.

You gotta short in a wiring harness somewhere I bet......just a tip on something I found on my pathy.......some idiot who replaced the O2 sensor at some point and time before I owned the truck didn't put the wiring harness back in its bendy clips and zip tie points along the way which also ran the same path as all the transmission wires (harness) that runs back up into the engine compartment from underneath the truck on the battery side of the pathy. Look under your truck on the passenger side near the tranny and follow your harness back up to the engine compartment. There's like 4 connections of wires plus your 02 sensor wire that goes over the tranny and then follows the other wires if it's like mine. If it's not secured right, it will run smack dab into the exhaust down pipe and the harness will start to melt against it. Mine was starting to, and luckily a fuse popped and started acting like your truck did, before all the wires got melted. A fuse melting is a short. You have to find what circuit it is exactly on a schematic and see where it goes and find the short. Don't keep replacing the fuse, or the harness will melt and you'll have bigger problems or possibly a fire.

..thanks a lot (specv1973) you hit it rite on the jack pot .........I checked that harness and sure enough it was starting to melt by touching that down pipe .......moved it and zip tied it and replaced the fuse n its runing normal again ......so I gueSs ima have to look for another short cuz my stereo also goes out when I put my rear windows up or down when my ac is on only ........

Glad I could help. Also sounds like the wiring in your truck has some issues. Take your time and use a good volt/ohm meter and a wiring schematic from the downloadable service manuals on here or elsewhere, and you can find most of your problems. If you can't find the problem, you can always bypass the original power and ground wires and run new ones to the fuse block.