Replacement shocks and struts?

jjeffri

I need to replace the existing stock shocks and struts on my 96 Pathfinder. I do mostly highway driving, but when I do travel off-road I am usually going fast down a "washboard" road, occasionally driving over some big bumps but no real rock crawling. Does anyone have any recommendations for a good set of shocks and a good set of struts for my driving style?

I would like to keep my options open for a suspension lift if possible, but the most important thing is to fix the ride quality now...when I have a load in the back end it just oscillates like mad!

-J

KYB makes a good strut and Bilstein makes kick but shocks....Check your local shops for the best prices....If you really don't wheel that much then another brand might be cheaper...I don't have any other suggestions.

I found a package deal on ebay a year ago for a complete set of KYB Gas-A-Just shocks and struts for my '97 for about $200.00. I put the shocks on myself and had the struts mounted for $50 bucks. I then replaced all the sway bar bushings with polyurethane. I do most of my driving on the highway and I can't say enough about the handling now. It's very responsive, not too stiff around town or off road and the truck feels real confident.

i have rancho RS9000x (9 way adjustable) shocks and KYB Gas struts on mine, they vastly improved ride quality. Rancho's won't be up quite to bilsteins quality, but they're also cheaper. Another thing that may be causing your oscillation is bad rear control arm bushings. Do a search in the 96+ forum and you'll find plenty of info. ;)

Thanks for the advice guys! I will look into the bushings. From what you are saying KYB struts make good sense, I will look into some of the recommended shocks and probably decide on price.

-J

I installed the Automotive Customizers 2" lift for 96 and up Pathy and my rear end wobble is still there. It is much less....but still happening. My new rear bushings will be here on the 19th so hopefully by Sunday the 24th, I will be done with the install. P...P...

Guest fefe2004

I've been looking for Bilstein rear shocks for my 96 Pathfinder, but only have found (in the web) for the 86-95 models. Where could I find for the R50?

Are the Bilsteins better than the OME?

Thanks,

Fernando

Fernando,

I also have not found any Bilsteins for the R50 Pathfinder, I have a sneaky suspicion that they don't exist.

KMGAR:

What kind of shocks are you using with the AC 2" lift coils? I am thinking about getting those and installing them later, but I have read that you need to change out your front hubs (4WD, obviously) from the factory to manual hubs, is this true? How was the installation of the AC coils?