rear coil springs

i have an 01 pathy and i have a normally about 200lbs or more of tools in the rear. so the rear sags some. im wanting to get some new springs that are oem height but stiffer spring rate. does anyone know the specs on the oem rear coils. or where i can find some stiffer springs thanks

i have seen the air lift 1000 kit from 4x4parts.com, with those do i have to by the load controller. or can i manually inflate and deflate with a regular presta valve and airhose like at a gas station?

nevermind got that answer. so would this be my best and cheapest option or just get new springs

I don't think there is a stiffer spring made that won't increase the ride height of your Pathfinder. Air bags are a very good option for keeping trucks level under a load, but IMO overkill for just 200 lbs of tools. But the air bags are cheap and like you found out, you can just use a tire valve with them. Price wise, probably very close in the end, so I would go for the adjustability of the air bags.

I don't think there is a stiffer spring made that won't increase the ride height of your Pathfinder. Air bags are a very good option for keeping trucks level under a load, but IMO overkill for just 200 lbs of tools. But the air bags are cheap and like you found out, you can just use a tire valve with them. Price wise, probably very close in the end, so I would go for the adjustability of the air bags.

FWIW... I've got the AirLift 1000's on my '03 Pathy SE... relatively simple install, and they work as advertised. I just have mine set up with the manual air valve. For me it's the best of both worlds... increased load carrying when I need it, and retaining the decent ride when I don't.

well it may be like 300 or so and if its not than its probably just weak springs i think the airbags will work. can you tell a good difference with them inflated as far as handability loaded and such and how is it unloaded because i dont want it to feel like absolute rock.

Edited by shortysmash

well it may be like 300 or so and if its not than its probably just weak springs i think the airbags will work. can you tell a good difference with them inflated as far as handability loaded and such and how is it unloaded because i dont want it to feel like absolute rock.

When I have the bags inflated and I'm carrying a load (lots of camping gear, bikes, etc) the ride is a little firmer overall, but the back of the Pathy is not dragging, and bigger bumps don't cause bottoming like I had before installing the bags. Without a load, I keep them at about 8 psi or so - just enough to keep their shape and to act as a bumpstop, as you have to remove the factory one during the install.

Like I said before, it seems like the best of both worlds for me... increased control with heavy loads, without the ride penalty of a stiffer spring setup... although from what I've read in these forums, I don't think that the rear spring options out there for R-50's (mainly AC and Old Man Emu) cause the ride to be come stiff or harsh.

I got my AirLift bags from JC Whitney for about $85 U.S. You may find them a little cheaper elsewhere, but at the time they had them in stock.

I think you could also fit an onboard compressor and cabin mounted up/down controls to make things easier for you. You can adjust from inside the cabin.. :-)

Nick

yeah that would be the future plan. just making sure that i could do all of this in steps instead of haveing to get everything at once. does anyone know if there are any other companies besides air lift and firestone. im still looking around but thats all ive seen so far

yeah that would be the future plan. just making sure that i could do all of this in steps instead of haveing to get everything at once. does anyone know if there are any other companies besides air lift and firestone. im still looking around but thats all ive seen so far

When I was looking, those were the only two companies that I found... and I didn't think Firestone had an application for the R-50, but I could be wrong about that. And I also looked to see if anybody had an overload coilspring/shock absorber combo as an easy bolt on - no luck there.