HELP! THROTTLE JERK after start of intake install

joehurdler

HELP! My throttle/accelerator is jerking! I attempted to start the install of my K&N Intake (Air Charger), but had to stop in the beginning steps due to lack of time. I put everything back and checked everything, and everything was running fine, but today while driving; the vehicle's gas/throttle starts jerking as if I'm jerking around with the peddle. This especially occurs when I step harder on the gas. Basically, if I try to accelerate past 30mph, it just starts jerking and hesitating. Runs idle fine. Doesn't seem like the engine is dying out. Just the throttle jerking.

Here are the steps I got up to, then had to stop and put it all back due to lack of time.

1. Disconnect negative battery cable.

2. Disconnect mass air sensor electrical connection

3. Disconnect vacumm lines from airbox & intake tube.

I stopped there, put everything back. Was runing fine last night. Then today while driving; the gas/throttle just starts to jerk. Anyone have any idea as to where I f'ed up?

Thanks, Joe

Interesting. I've had a similar problem as well. I'm not sure exactly if it is attributed to the install of my JWT popcharger last year, but I also have a "throttle jerk" or almost a "foward shudder". This only occurs however, when I have the pedal floored. If I actually lift my foot up from the acclerator about an inch, this solves the "shuddering" and the acceleration actually increases.

There's just this "red zone" from where the pedal is fully depressed to about an inch before where this occurs. When it is in the "red zone" the car shudders and RPM needle will bouce and RPMs will continue to stay high. I haven't figured out the cause or remedy to this either. :confused:

Interesting. I've had a similar problem as well. I'm not sure exactly if it is attributed to the install of my JWT popcharger last year, but I also have a "throttle jerk" or almost a "foward shudder". This only occurs however, when I have the pedal floored. If I actually lift my foot up from the acclerator about an inch, this solves the "shuddering" and the acceleration actually increases.

There's just this "red zone" from where the pedal is fully depressed to about an inch before where this occurs. When it is in the "red zone" the car shudders and RPM needle will bouce and RPMs will continue to stay high. I haven't figured out the cause or remedy to this either. :confused:

After taking it to the dealer; turns out it was the Mass Air Flow Sensor malfunctioning. Now when I brought it in there, I NEVER told them I was tinkering with the intake or even installing after market "Performance Intake". If you tell them that it will void your warranty. Turns out the law says that you can get after market performance parts and not worry about having your warranty voided. BUT, if the after market performance part is the CAUSE of the warranty claim, then they can deny you.

So anyways, when I brought my vehicle in there, I just told them all I did was change the air filter. I stated that after changing the filter was when it started doing the "throttle jerk". Their conclusion and diagnosis claims that the Mass Air Flow Sensor may have gotten dirty when I changed it out. Supposedly if there was already a piece of debry logged in the air box, it may have blown into the Mass Air Flow sensor and damaged it. Or the other conclusion is that it may have been defective from the start and a little movement in that area from changing the filter caused it to go bad. That being said, if you change out that little part of the Mass Air Flow sensor, you should be straight.

Good Luck, Joe

Thanks for the followup Joe! Never really thought it was the MAFsensor , but I guess its worth a try for me since I have a 98. Might be time. I figured I'd go to the junkyard, and go see what other toys I can find for my Pathy.

I just need someone to verify if I can pull a MAF sensor off of a 96-01 R50? If thats they case I'll hunt down the newest one I can find. Thanks guys.

DJ