Alternator Plug Missing, 1990 Pathy

blackboat

Swapped out the alternator about a month ago. The engine has been swapped in mine (by PO) and the alternator plug with 2 wires that goes into the side of the alt is missing. There was a single yellow wire coming from a plug near the headlights that was jury rigged; i made sure I put it in the same place it was on the old alt. Truck ran fine for about a month, then the battery died.

I've been thru 2 more batteries (one from a garage who was supposed to check all this out) in the past week. Quite clearly I'm now running a total loss electrical system.

At this point I don't know if the missing plug is having any effect, or if the Autozone reman is just crap and dead already. Do think I need to solve the plug mystery regardless, so if anyone has a pic, or a description of what 2 wires should go into the side (where they come from, what color they are) it would be extremely helpful. It's pouring rain here today; I'm hoping for a let up sometime so I can do a quick check with a VM as see if it's charging.

Thanks,

Rob

Hey Rob, I'll see what I can trace on my parts truck when I get home. In the meanwhile, go to the Garage section and pinned at the top is a thread about manuals. One of the last posts has a link where you can download a full factory service manual in PDF form. The earliest model is 94 but as long as you have the MPFI 4 door, it should be the same.

Aww, hell, here it is...

http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/pathfinder/

B

Thanks Precise1, The FSM has helped a lot, but of course has me pondering other unrelated things now :D

Rain never stopped before I had to run my daughter around until after dark. I'm betting next check is going to show Autozone alternator not charging. It did work in this config for about a month; the only thing that's changed is batteries aren't getting charged. We'll see, sometimes it takes me awhile to muddle through what I've done to it lately.

Still am curious as to the missing plug and it's appropriate wires on a real vehicle vs. the schematics i have at hand.

Thanks,

Rob

You are welcome, I'm always happy to... confuse the issue. :D

Sorry, weird and busy night, I never got under the hood. I should be able to do it tomorrow. Hopefully it will keep raining...

Sounds like you are right, the alternator failed but obviously have it bench tested. There have been several complaints about Autozone re-man items lately...

B

The missing plug is what excites the field in the stator (or is it armature :scratchhead: ) to make it charge. It cant be working without the plug unless someone put a modified one wire GM alternator on it. Did your replacement look just like the old one you took off?

James

The missing plug is what excites the field in the stator (or is it armature :scratchhead: ) to make it charge. It cant be working without the plug unless someone put a modified one wire GM alternator on it. Did your replacement look just like the old one you took off?

James

While the plug is gone, 1 wire is still attached. I think the missing wire is for the warning light. And yes, replacement alt looked just like the old one (pulled up the part number myself before going to autozombie).

Again, I'm just trying to confirm what color the wires to the plug should be, and location (front or back).

Thanks,

Rob