Vg33 Build

Cuong Nguyen

I bought another Xterra motor from a fellow wheeler. He had pulled the heads and motor out a while back after he saw it spewing oil from somewhere after coming out of the mud hole. I'm new to building motors and I'm trying to make this as cheap as possible. There is some rusting on the cylinder walls so I'm going to leave it be. I plan on taking out the crank and install my '93 crank into it and bolt everything back up. hopefully it'll be that easy. My crank though has some rust so maybe I can get it cleaned up at a machine shop.

I have some play and some knocking as it sounds like so maybe those trained can tell me if it's normal and what are the problems. Here are some photos and a few clips of what I am describing.

P1020385.jpg

P1020386.jpg

P1020378.jpg

Rust is bad. Especially on the internals of an engine! If you want this engine to last, you need to get the crank machined and the block hot tanked and honed. And if the crank gets machined, you won't be able to use the old bearings, you'll need new ones. rings as well.

• 7 months later...

Update:

I found nick on my number #6 rod journal which gouged my new rod bearings I installed. This totally blows donkey XXXX. I have not checked the rest of the bearings but I will be ordering a new set of rod bearings for sure. I am going to attempt to sand down the nick and smooth out the journal with some sand paper or file. That's after I call my machine shop for their recommendation. It's been well over a year.

Anyhow, here are the links to my VG33 engine build pictures: http://s2.photobucket.com/albums/y5/cuongnutz/VG33/.

I also have a build thread over Z31performance since I really don't feel like double posting: http://www.z31performance.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=21229

Edited by Cuong Nguyen