1997 Pathfinder Auto Tranny Problems

Tommyl

Hey Everyone,

Anyone heard of this one!?

My Pathy's auto tranny has been slipping horribly since I bought it, this weekend I used the shop and installed a new transmission that was working form the unit it came out of. The install went great, no problems at all. All back together, atf level fine, no gears at all. Heres the catch:

If you start the car in Neutral, it will reverse for about 5 feet, then stop.

Any suggestions here? Hopefully not an internal failure of some sort, im tempted to swap out valve bodies from the old unit and see what happens.

Have you checked the transmission cooler to see if it's clogged or not? It's a common problem in the older WD21s, '87-'95, but any cooler can clog up. I may need to be flushed or replaced and is starving the transmission of fluid, which if that is the case it will take the new transmission out as well.

Maybe try swapping the Transmission Control Unit from the other vehicle as well. :shrug:

Its just funny, we drove it on the hoist in the morning, and now in the evening shes not budging, so chances of a cooler clogging that quickly is slim.

Im gonna scan it tomorrow with the consult and see what happens

• 2 weeks later...

figured it out, i scanned w/ consult II and no codes. Dropped pan, one of the plungers in valve body not sync. w/ manual valve shaft. easy fix. pathy is back on the road w/ no tranny slippage