URGENT: HID Upgrade gone wrong. PLEASE HELP

Guest NHxj4x4

Guys,

My buddy has a 2002 Pathfinder, and last night we attempted to install HID upgrades. Now the kit that we got was 100% plug and play. Take the stock plug, plug into bulb, bult plugs into ballast, ballast plugs back into bulb. No factory wiring was cut. I did back probe the stock harness to figure out what did what (9003 headlights (h4) so there was a High, Low, and Power)

The HID upgrade did not work, the low beam is the actually HID bulb, while the HI is just an H3. The H3 (high beam, which does not use the ballast.) lit up, but we did not get any output voltage from the ballast which called for 12V in 85V out (we had the 12V in, just no out) we attribute this to crappy ballast's.

Anyway, minus the HID not working when we plugged the stock bulbs back in, we ended up not having a Pside low beam. It's not the bulb, not the plug, but there is literally no voltage going to the low beam wire. We do have constant 12V and high beam though. I checked all the fuses, none were blown. We never smelled anything burning.

Now there is a replay as well as fuse, as I said the fuses are fine. The replay which is located in on the Dside fender wall, still clicks, and appears to be working, but I could not test it as I did not know what leads did what. The Dside (working side) is a blue wire with a red stripe, the Pside (non working) is a Red wire with a Yellow stripe. They both appear to be on the same lead of the socket that the relay plugs into.

I need to know your thoughts as to why this is happening. I'm old school and don't typically work on these new cars with relay up the yang. If this were my car I would short cut by splicing a wire from the Dside low, to the Pside low, with a fuse in the middle and would be OK with that. But this is a new 25K car, and I would perfer to actually fix the issue, rather than band aid it.

PLEASE if you have suggestion let me know.

Thanks!

Todd

First off are you sure it just start doing this after you installed the new bulbs? Even if the relay clicks it might be faulty (it could have been ready to go and just the difference in power could have killed it).

On thing you could do to eliminate this is, if both relays are the same, swap them and see if the problem follows the relay. This might be something you've tried before, but I'm just trying to brainstorm.

Also, and I'm not very familliar with the 2002 wiring, my 1990 had a similar problem with the driving lights and it was the driving light module that was bad. It just had a bad solder joint. I took it apart and resoldered it. It works fine now.

Yup, no problems before hand. Here is the schematic (sorry so large) his is the top diagram with the XE package. Here is my thought:

I will check that, but I can tell you that the relay is certainly clicking, and that the Dside headlight works......are the headlights on 2 different relays? Also the fogs on both side work. I am looking at the wiring schematic right now and the Red with Yellow stripe wire (Pside Low Beam) is also the wire for the fog. If the fog on the Pside works, and has power, can I narrow this down to the junction of where the fog meets the low beam. I am thinking I can run a wire from the fog, splice to the low beam, and be good to go.

robohead.jpg