Ticking Sound / Oil Light On

MJBBMANO

I heard a ticking sound coming from my engine. I had the oil changed 2 weeks ago at Tire Kingdom. Today when I was driving the oil light came on and there was a ticking noise coming from the engine. I went to Tire Kingdom and they said I wasn't that low on oil. They added a quart and the oil light turned off. The mechanic at Tire Kingdom said my engine is about to die because after adding the oil you could still hear the ticking a bit. When I was driving back home the sound went away. I parked the truck and 3 hours later I turned the truck back on and it didn't tick. Is my engine dying? Should I keep driving it? Any suggestions?

Thanks.

I don't see how the mechanic could foreshadow the death of your engine just from a simple ticking noise. Somebody please tell me if I'm crazy or if I'm missing something here.

I was ticking, I mean thinking the same thing. I'm taking it to a real mechanic (No franchise) next week. Hopefully some one on this forum might be able to tell me what it is. The Tire Kingdom mechanic said the sound is something inside the engine that starts with "L". I don't remeber the name of it. I'm afraid to drive the truck.

A sticking lifter will tick, but it won't necessarily hurt anything unless it goes completely dead. Your oil light being on indicates either low oil, or the oil pump not providing enough pressure so sufficiently lubricate the engine. If the oil pump is going bad, you can expect your engine life to be cut down to nothing. If it's a sticky lifter that's not being fully pumped with oil, the problem is relatively minor.

Since the sound went away I would suspect that it was in fact low on oil and the proper amount of oil helped build enough pressure to pump the lifter back up. I'd say if the noise went away then you're fine.

A sticking lifter will tick, but it won't necessarily hurt anything unless it goes completely dead. Your oil light being on indicates either low oil, or the oil pump not providing enough pressure so sufficiently lubricate the engine. If the oil pump is going bad, you can expect your engine life to be cut down to nothing. If it's a sticky lifter that's not being fully pumped with oil, the problem is relatively minor.

Since the sound went away I would suspect that it was in fact low on oil and the proper amount of oil helped build enough pressure to pump the lifter back up. I'd say if the noise went away then you're fine.

If the lifter goes completely dead will my truck stop running? Can the lifter be replaced? How many lifters are there? Can the oil pump be replaced?

After adding 1 quart of oil the ticking stopped on the drive home which is about 15 min. Thank you so much for helpig me out. I love this site!

It wasn't low So they added a quart? I have to go with they didn't put enough in to begin with and don't want to admit it. What weight oil was used? If some stupidly low weight it could not have been thick enough to build pressure causing the light. Initial thought still lean to being low though...

It wasn't low So they added a quart? I have to go with they didn't put enough in to begin with and don't want to admit it. What weight oil was used? If some stupidly low weight it could not have been thick enough to build pressure causing the light. Initial thought still lean to being low though...

When you say weight oil you mean the type for example 5w30? If so I will check and let you know. What type of oil should be in there? I have 173,000 miles on the truck (1997 LE).

• 1 month later...

When you say weight oil you mean the type for example 5w30? If so I will check and let you know. What type of oil should be in there? I have 173,000 miles on the truck (1997 LE).

Ok its now been a bit over a month and the noise never came back. I'm going to have believe they never put enough oil in it.