Interior Carpet Padding Question

MadManMike

Hey guys and gals,

So after finally fixing my passenger side leaky floor (some good ol JB water weld putty), I am in need of some new carpet padding. I went to the local auto parts stores only to find that they didn't carry such a thing. So now I am sitting here thinking "I wonder if i can just use carpet padding for your home for my car" The stuff for your house looks to be the same jute type of padding that was in the car.

What do you think? I know I could order some from Summit or JC Whitney or something but I kind of wanted to get the pathy put back together before next week (where I have to give a lady friend a ride home from school).

Also, the original floor board had some kind of hard rubber between the carpet padding and the metal floorboard. It was all brittle and broke apart when I was rummaging around for the leak, is this necessary? what would I use to replace it?

Thanks!

-Mike

The black stuff acts as a sound deadner and a heat shield. What you need to be wary about with the home carpet padding is if it will melt, especially under the gas pedal. The exhaust Y-pipe comes really close to the body right there and it can get pretty hot. You could use Fatmat, Dynamat, etc, but its pricey. I have some thick rubber mat material under mine right now. I'm still putting the truck together so I can't guarantee it'll work, but I think it'll survive the temp much better than the open cell foam padding you use in your home plus it won't collect moisture and rust the floor out.