Hello Noob Here

jvp

hi im fairly new to path finders and off road stuff but i really want to get into it. i only started looking into pathfinders because i recently bought one. so my very first question for you guys is if i got ripped off or if it was a fair buy...i bought it for 1000 it has 145 miles interior isnt pretty the exterior is fair no major rust problems that i see the reason why he sold it for so cheap is cuz of the tranny making a funny noise and to me it seems like its the throw out bearing....but the motor is really strong it probably just needs a regular tune up like spark plugs and wires etc... so what do you guys think is it a ok buy or did i get ripped off.

Hello and welcome.

Hard to say with the little bit said, but if it runs good with a tune up and all it needs is a clutch (and company), $1000 isn't a bad price at all. As long as it was reasonably taken care of, 145,000 miles is only 1/2 it's life span...

B

funny noises could mean alot of things? is it laughing? welcome to the site, is urs white by chance?

no its red..its actually red exterior and interior which im not really fond of lol. and about the noise i noticed that it only made that noise when i step on the clutch pedal and after a while it goes away it only does it when when the tranny is still cold im guessing not sure tho.

Hello and welcome.

Hard to say with the little bit said, but if it runs good with a tune up and all it needs is a clutch (and company), $1000 isn't a bad price at all. As long as it was reasonably taken care of, 145,000 miles is only 1/2 it's life span...

B

it doesnt have any major leaks and still passes emissions and safety so i guess thats a plus. im the third owner also i believe

Well, that's the important parts, right?? :D

I have had the same symptoms on two different trucks and it was the throw out bearing.

B

i was wondering if this was something that should be taken care of right away or will it be ok until its time to change the clutch?

Depends how long before you do the clutch. The throw out bearing generally just howls a bit, but it can get worse (not just at start up) and can damage the fingers on the pressure plate. If it breaks the fingers, they can lodge in the works or the pressure plate will not function correctly. No, it is not critical, many people drive a long time like that, but it can occasionally cause failure. :shrug:

B

Depends how long before you do the clutch. The throw out bearing generally just howls a bit, but it can get worse (not just at start up) and can damage the fingers on the pressure plate. If it breaks the fingers, they can lodge in the works or the pressure plate will not function correctly. No, it is not critical, many people drive a long time like that, but it can occasionally cause failure. :shrug:

B

well i was planning on changing the clutch about 3-4 months or so. i dont know if thats too long of a wait or if its short.

Edited by jvp

Odds are that you will be ok. I drove a truck that did the same thing when it was cold. If it starts to do it when it is warm also or all the time, that means it is deteriorating and could fail.

B