Oil Consumption Critical Level

vanuatoo

Hello

I could not find that info.

I know that many manufacturers provide info how much oil should car consume on some mileage.

For instance my friend's mercedes states that consuming half a liter on 10,000 km ~ 6,000 miles is normal

and after that level engine needs repair.

Does anyone know what is that info for pathfinder?

No but genrally on mine(which has a 3.5 quirt pan) I would start worrying if it is half a quirt low in 3000 miles.

A 5 quirt pan I wouldnt worry until a full quirt was being used in 3000 miles.

I'm using fully synthetic long-life oil, so I change every 6000 miles or 1 year.

Last time observation was that after 4000 miles it was on L mark of the dipstick.

I know that there is 1 quart range from L to H, so my oil consumption was 1 quart per 4000 miles, Is that normal?

Also you should take into consideration the fact that I'm driving in a dusty city, with lots of uphills and downhills, stoplights and mostly doing 5 mile trips

a day.

My results on the 02 are similar.

In just over 5K (short city trips also 5 miles or less) I burned just under 3/4 quart. If you take a long trip check that out too. I took an 800 mile trip and checked to see virtually no consumption. After making the trip home (another 800) still not any easy measureable amount of oil burned. I averaged about 70 MPH and the trip took 16 hrs of travel round trip.

I would say that constant trip speeds vs. stop and go, greatly affect this particular engine in this rig.

My results on the 02 are similar.

In just over 5K (short city trips also 5 miles or less) I burned just under 3/4 quart. If you take a long trip check that out too. I took an 800 mile trip and checked to see virtually no consumption. After making the trip home (another 800) still not any easy measureable amount of oil burned. I averaged about 70 MPH and the trip took 16 hrs of travel round trip.

I would say that constant trip speeds vs. stop and go, greatly affect this particular engine in this rig.

I agree with you completely that longer trips result in no or little oil consumption.

I've once made a trip about 400 miles (one day) and the oil was at the same level after that, another 400 miles (one month) in a town and I noticed it was down again.

I guess I don't have to worry about it. :)