Fuel Filter Issues

looking for some suggestions on how to take care of my fuel filter problem. here's the deal: went to change my fuel filter yesterday (previous owner never changed it) and turns out the filter bracket is rusty mess. kinda surprising since the underside of the Pathfinder is virtually rust free otherwise. When I tried to remove the screw/bolt to undo the bracket, the bracket twisted under the torque of my baby 1/4" driver and started to crush the fuel filter. I'll need to cut off the bracket for sure.

any suggestions on what to use as a new bracket? I'm thinking that I could use some type of hose clamp bolted down with a sheetmetal screw. The filter is light enough that I could probably even use a screw-down wire tie but I'd prefer something reusable.

I did look for universal brackets online but almost all of them are show pieces - huge billet aluminum and chromed steel brackets for $40+

Edited by CaughtLikeFire

I had to replace my fuel filter bracket about five months ago because I had the same exact problem. I just bought a new bracket from the dealer for $20. I figure this is probably a part I'll have to replace every several years.

wow, I just assumed that the dealership would want a ridiculous amount of money for that part - I'm going to try to rig up a stainless steel hose band clamp that I found from my turbo Volvo parts box but if that doesn't work, I won't be out too much $$.

wow, I just assumed that the dealership would want a ridiculous amount of money for that part - I'm going to try to rig up a stainless steel hose band clamp that I found from my turbo Volvo parts box but if that doesn't work, I won't be out too much $$.

dealer wanted $31 for the bracket and it had to be ordered. Called up Rob (Alkorahil) and got it for $13 plus a few new screws for $1.50. Decided not to mess with the band clamp (not that it would be that difficult, but it would be more than $13 of my time/labor by the time I got out the angle grinder and cut part of the bracket).