swing-away tire carrrier

Guest soggywaffle17

Guest soggywaffle17

wheres the best, and the cheapest places to get a swingaway spare carrier. and will it bolt right up to my 95' pathy, any kind of bracing or reinforcement need to be added? that dang spare just takes up too much room in the cargo area. appreciate the help.

chuck

If you mean a stock external tire carrier I've taken mine off my rig and am giving it away I posted it in the free parts forum its off my 88 with allthe hardwear if you want it let me know.I also have a tail light for a Nissan hard body if some one wants that, the junk yard sold me the wrong one and wont exchange it for a 86.5- 89 pathy one. :)

Apparently, from memory from a discussion on this ages ago, you have to put all the strengthening stuff on from another Pathfinder that goes inside the rear corner. Makes sense, as you can't bolt straight to the body work, not enough strength. Do a search, im sure you will find it here.

Hi Guys, I can tell you from my 95 pathy that I have no bracing pre-installed for the tire carrier. I had to pull the brackets (the top ones only) off the doner truck. But the doner was from an 88 and the bracket was tack welded in before the sheet metal was put on. So I had to basically use a can opener approach to get it out. I've tried every which way to try to get that rear top bracket in and have been unsuccessful. I think I'm going to have to cut some sheet metel behind the tail light to slide it in. This may or may not happen. I've been using the lovely little truck a lot lately to move stuff, and on many occasion the stuff was long and big so the rear hatch had to be tied down..I wouldn't be able to do that with a rear tire carrier hanging back there.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest canknuncklehead

OK! I have installed a Rear tire mounted carrier and the worst thing I have lost was some Shin off my knuckles. It WILL go in there but you will have to inprovise a little. What I did was cut the top braket in half with a hacksaw. Yeah it does sound like it may take away for the Structure a little. How ever it works very well. I can pretty well hang on the carrier with my 200lbs body! The hardest thing is getting that top bracket in............ If you know of someone who is very flexible in the wrists and has long fingers like E.T then let them get it in to place and start the bolts. The another thing is once the brackets are in place then do a couple of small drill holes to find the bracket holes because if you place the rack on the rear panel and you don't have a couple of exetra sets of hand you will be off in the location for your anchor bolts. This will eliminate having big hole in the panels and having to silicone it them( I got real lucky!). You should feel the brackets below the skin of the panel and that should make it easy to locate and drill holes for the support bolts. Once the carrier is on and all six bolts are in the right spot... Here comes the cool thing on my 88 pathy, swing thwecarrier close to the back to about where it will rest rear the hatch and do a pre-drill about where the support and the latch would go. The factory (for my year of pathy) for some reason pre-drilled and tapped the holes for the support strut and the latch lock underneath a plastic cover that is there. cool huh? You and I are now wondering why they did that and not just install the panel brackets as well........... I don't know. Anyhow that should get you started.

total cost

Tire rack and supports: 75.00CDN fron an Auto wrecker

Brackets 12.00CDN from a different auto wrecker.

beer for my friends to lift and get that bracket into place: 20.00cdn

Total: 107.00CDN

How it Looks Priceless!!!

The dealer wanted and this is no joke.........

1500.00CDN just for the carrier

150.00CDN for the upper and lower brackets

3300 for the proper rear quarter panel

Hey Cank-h, glad you were able to get it done so cheaply ! The Stealerships love to overplay that stuff. Me, tomorrow I'm going to a u-pull-it wrecker looking for grill guard, nerf bars, trailer hitch, etc.... No need to pay mint. Anyway, I'm moving soon and selling my P/U now which means the pathy gets some of the move duty. I looked at the tire carrier and thought that it has to be removed so I can move some 'long' stuff (with the back open). IF the truck came with the carrier, and you remove it, are there internal bolt brackets that will shift and become unavailable for easy reinstallation. I would assume they are atleast tack welded in place, but this thread has me wondering... Before I start pulling things apart, is this a concern ? Anyone remove/reinstall a 'stock' tire carrier before ? I'd appreciate 1 less headache right now ;) Thanks guys !!

Bernard

On that note, why not make up your own brackets out of flat 3mm plate. All it has to do really is spread the load through the rear quater pannel.

Soooo, in theory if you cut out some plates from the 3mm sheet of steel, left then as flate plates they should spread the load as well as any floating braket supplied as OEM. Im mean, you could even put some bends in it with a vice and spot weld it to the inner wall in the boot if you wanted.

Crazy idea i know, but worth looking at maybe???

IF the truck came with the carrier, and you remove it, are there internal bolt brackets that will shift and become unavailable for easy reinstallation. I would assume they are atleast tack welded in place, but this thread has me wondering... Before I start pulling things apart, is this a concern ?

The brackets are held in place by their own bolts to the body as well, so when you do remove the carrier, the brackets won't move out of place.

:aok:

Thanks PuddleDuck !! Just what I wanted to hear... May your puddles be long and muddy, your, umm, feathers stay waterproof, err, your webbed feet never tear, and, ahh, there be no #6 shot with your name...

Phew...

:beer:

Bernard