cutting off my exhaust resonator

burtonpunk151

ok so heres the thing. i wanted to make my 99.5 r50 louder. so i took it in and the dudes gave me an estimate of about $750 for a whole new system w/ a flowmaster super 40. so i said fxck that idea and am going to plan b. i was wondering if i just took off my resonator and ran a pipe out the back (so it wouldnt billow up inside and kill me) would sound good. let me know if anyone has done this or if im just dumb for even trying lol. let me know

ok so heres the thing. i wanted to make my 99.5 r50 louder. so i took it in and the dudes gave me an estimate of about $750 for a whole new system w/ a flowmaster super 40. so i said fxck that idea and am going to plan b. i was wondering if i just took off my resonator and ran a pipe out the back (so it wouldnt billow up inside and kill me) would sound good. let me know if anyone has done this or if im just dumb for even trying lol. let me know

$750 is bs. I got the same quote from a local Midas.

You can cut the resonator off and straight pipe it without any problems. I ran it like that for a couple of months before I got an exhaust. I didn't notice too much difference but these things are subjective.

An exhaust on R50s should be straightforward.

1 Y-pipe, available anywhere.

1 Muffler. I used a Super 44. $90 at Amazon with free shipping.

1 section of exhaust pipe, available anywhere including your local auto store. I used 2" width.

1 reasonably competent welder.

Whole thing, soup to nuts, cost me $250 at a local independent. There was/is a noticeable difference.

Edited by GoPathyGo