R50 2" lift... do it yourself or not?

marc_andrew

I put my order in for the 2" suspension lift from 4x4parts.com (with the Rancho RS9000X shocks and KYB GR-2 struts), and now am afraid to do the work myself. Does anyone have any experience installing this lift? A called a couple 4x4 shops, and they want $500-600 to install, and say that a full alignment is necessary also. The lift was $700... I really dont want to pay an additional $500 for installation. Can a very handy person with lots of tools do it himself? Please help! :help:

It depends on the tools you have and your mechanical skills. But 500-600 is too high anyways. The rear of the car should be pretty simple, even if you have only basic knowledge/skills. The front is definitely more involved. When I got my shocks/struts, I installed the shocks myself but had a shop do the struts. I probably could have done it, but would have taken easily a whole day, and I got a good price anyways. But here's a good site for pics/instructions of installation: project Pathfinder (not my pathy). Also, you will need an alignment, and only a shop can do that ;)

I did my lift (KYB Struts, 4 Springs, and Bilstein rear shock) it took about 12-14 hours non stop.

Check out my web site with the photos

Lift Kit Install

Items you need P...

Metric wrench and socket set

Allen wrench set (Metric)

Strut Spring compressor (TWO) ($20 deposit each at a Auto Parts Store)

Floor Jack ($40 at Wal Mart)

Jack stands ($20 at Wal Mart)

Penetrating Oil

Helpful items

Impact driver (reversable) Rent it

Impact sockets

If you have any questions just e-mail me :aok: