yet more on flooding problem

carwilef7

Still trying to figure out why my '97 R50 wants to flood on startup after running for a while and being shut off for 5-10 minutes.

A few days ago, I decided to eliminate things systematically, starting with the ignition. Had already replaced the rotor and plugs, so went ahead and did the cap and wires. No problems for 4 solid days - Monday thru Thursday.

Then, Friday was a total mess! Flooding again. Had good spark, so I figured I'd clean all the grounds and connectors I could find. In the course of doing this, I managed to not quite get the TPS connector to click in, SES light came on, found it and replugged it, reset the ECM. Then, I drove about 3 miles to the store, shut it off, restarted fine 5 minutes later. Went 200 ft to the stoplight and the SES light came on. Got home and tried to clear the ECM, figuring that it had finally set codes for all the stuff I disconnected, and wanting a clear slate before i went to Autozone to get it read out.

I have not been able to clear it out since, and it's pointless to get it read out unless the problem at hand is the only one - having possibly set others for having bad connections or whatever. All connections are tight now - trust me, I went OCD on it!

And then, outta the blue, the idle speed sometimes wants to climb to 1300 in Park for no apparent reason, but stayed at the normal 750-800 in D or R, and the EGR back pressure transducer was going nuts and clicking at 1300. Shut it off and tried to restart, but it flooded again.

I then tested every damn component of the EGR system while i was waiting for the fuel to clear and found nothing wrong. I thing the EGR F-up was a symptom, not the cause.

After that 1 hour diagnostic episode, it started fine at 5 min intervals, 5 times in a row, with no high idle. But the sixth time, it idled high and then flooded again after 5 min.of being shut off. Not sure the two are related, because it has since flooded without high idle.

Tomorrow, I'm going to get a fuel pressure gauge and make sure the pump and regulator are ok, and the injectors aren't leaking. but it seems like something is making all the injectors dump a bunch of fuel at once.

Could a wonky IAC valve or coolant temp sensor cause this?

Any ideas at all? It runs perfectly on the road and the only problems are at startup after running and being shut off for a few minutes.

Thanks!