Tuneup

radex7

As I am waiting for my exhaust manifold oxygen sensor nut to come in, debating pulling the rear axle out, I decided to jump ahead and do a bit of a tuneup myself. I admit, I do not recall when it was done in the past... if ever. Things done: fuel filter, oil change and filter, air filter, throttle body cleanup, pcv cleanup, fresh spark plugs... and I need to stop here for second.

Old plugs had gaps that were close to 2mm. Almost twice the size of the recommended gap, completely fried in other words. I feel bit stupid because it was my own negligence that lead to this, and now I am paying the price. Literally. After seeing spark plugs, I figured that my wires and distributor cap/rotor need to go too.

I found NGK wire sets that I think are of good quality based on brand reputation, but what about the cap and rotor? WHat do you guys use for replacements? Dealer/oem? Generic from Kragen or Napa? MSD kits? ANy recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Order placed: NGK wire set, NGK BKR5EIX-11 spark plugs, Beck/Arnley Dist. cap, YEC rotor. BTW, here is a picture of my old and new spark plug. If I knew then what I know now - I wouldn't be so surprised with my vehicle not having any power. These actually might be original spark plugs for the car.

sparks.jpg

Now, I know some of you will consider it pointless, but I am willing to give it a shot, it does not cost me anything: SPARK PLUG INDEXING. The only problem is - I don't know the arrangement of my valves in cylinders. I looked in the manual, and I couldn't find anything showing where the exhaust valves are. Does any of you know, or has a picture of a stripped block with valves visible (and preferably labeled).

Thanks

when you index your spark plugs, you point the side electrode (the little arm thingy) down towards the combustion chamber. you're trying to achieve optimum spark and burn, not necessarily aim it toward the exhaust valve. on a VG33, the spark plug is basically atop the combustion chamber, so indexing the plugs is even more ineffective.