Transmission failure?

vannia

HI all,

i bought my 95 pathy 3 years a go, it seems to have a problem, at first it seldom happened now its all the time.:

when i stop and continue (stop light, sign) i can hear that the engine seems to make a big effort to move forward but the car goes ver Slowly.

If i put the drive in "1" and and go theres no problem, but in "D" the above will happen.

Once going on about 30mi/h everything is fine :huh: ...

It seems the transmision never goes back to 1st gear ( if it where manual ) and it gets stuck on 3rd or something...

Any ideas on what this is about?? :o

88 is correct there is a problem, however it may not be a major one. Since the tranny is fine when you put it in low and in drive it never seems to go to low then it could be a soleniod or simply dirt. Transmissions have so many passages that can clog and stop the tranny from working correctly.

Before you go and have someone service your trans STOP. Most of these people are complete idiots. They know a few minor things and they know how to replace your tranny with another one that will last just until it is out of warrenty.

The best way to find someone who knows what they are doing is either word of mouth (not people who just had the tranny replaced, but actually fixed) or go to an auto tech school and ask them for a recommendation.

The first thing to do is have the tranny power flushed. This is not just change the fluid. They attach to the tranny lines and force clean fluid through the unit as they open and close the solenoids. Next have someone diagnois the problem using the proper Nissan protocall. It is listed on this forum. If you really want you can reverse the order of these two.

Finally if all fails replace the tranny. (DO NOT LET SOME HIGH SCHOOL DROP OUT REBUILD IT). Buy a tranny from a reliable rebuilder like Phoenix, Jasper, or TCI. You could buy a used one from a Japanese importer like SOKO. There are many of these guys. A used tranny should cost about $600 to $800, a good rebuild somewhere around $1300.

Next comes installation. Here if you really want to you can use a high school dropout, as long as there is some guarenty if they damage the trans. This is expensive on a Pathy. Plan on paying for a minimum of 8 hours. It could be up to 12 hours. Anyone who has tried to change out an auto tranny knows that Nissan was not kind to the mechanic.

You do not say how many miles are on the Pathy or if you have a tranny cooler. Tranny cooler are a "mandatory" item for a hihger mileage Pathy. Installing an external filter is a very good idea. Some people may say that the damage is already done on your Pathy, but you should have at least a cooler on it. Be cardful here also. If you do not do it yourself. I had an idiot tell me that my tranny cooler on my Ranger was on the wrong side of the radiator. He thought that it should be facing the fan. That was today at the Ohio Emmissions test site.

Your Pathy is not dead. It is just a little sick :oops: I would understand if you don't want to bother with it. I have a 91 that if someone would give me more than I would get on a charitable deduction I would let it go.

Keep the forum informed regarding your decision on the Pathy and don't let any hard stickers belittle you for being an auto. P...

The overdrive switch ??

Thats another issue (or maybe its related).. i dont think it works well, Somethimes i see no change in RPMs when driving on the freeway and swicthing the overdrive off/on, but i always see a decrease in RPMs when switching overdrive ON and driving downhill.

:rolleyes:

No, on the dash beside the steering wheel, under the gauges there should be a switch with Power, A/T,Hold on it. Make sure that is in the middle position, A/T. Thats all i was saying. It is possible this is just an electrical problem, go to the Garage section of the forum center, and in one of the bold headings at the top of garage section should be a PDF document with instructions on how to run a self diagnostic procedure on the trans. Try it, it may be helpfull.

• 1 month later...
Guest rkartan

I have a 95 Pathfinder, same problem. Took it to Nissan and had them hook it up the computer. They informed me that Solenoid B was bad. It is located in the Valve body, right inside the transmission pan.

I got the part was $193 and had a local shop install if for $100.00.

Nissan wanted $625 for the part w/installation.

It works great now.

Ravi