passenger side power window will not raise

nige

Hi, i just finished washing the truck, and i went to roll up the windows to wipe them down and every one of them but the front passenger side works. I've tried using both drivers and passenger side switches and neither of them raised the window. I took off the door skin and checked for power interruptions, and the motor is getting electricity at the last connector before the leads enter the motor. Both contacts register 12v when i push up or down on the switch so i know everything is working fine there. I removed all the motor mounting hardware to get at the last connector going into the side so i can test for 12v, but since it's attached to the cable, i can't move it to the left or right more than a couple inches.

is there an easy way to unhook the cable so i can move the motor infront of a hole in the door so i can check the last electrical connector?

I checked the other connectors in the door and some of them had a bit of moisture in there so i cleaned them out and put a little bit of w.l. grease in each one.

Edited by nige

just looked in my manual and i noticed there is a circuit breaker in the schematic for the power window regulator. Is there a way to reset this? that might be my problem as well. A bit of water may have gotten in there and tripped the breaker.

If you can operate the other windows with your switch on the driver side or with the other switches; I say its your motor. In other words if the others works and that one doesn't, your motor's gone (just my $0.02!!)

that's what i am starting to figure. i removed the window from the door to get better access to the regulator, and i was able to get the last connector off. It was fine and there is grease inside. Both connectors on the plug side are receiving power and the motor is warm to the touch so i know it's getting power. I noticed that the regulator clicks when i push down on the switch, but it makes no noise when i push up on the switch. There is also a little rubber "snout" that is covering an opening beside the connector. Is this where the circuit breaker is located?

Is there a way to manually raise the window and keep it there short of wedging something underneath it to hold it up and steady? I think it's gonna rain here tonight :ohno01:

i also have a spare rear door buried behind my shed. does anyone offhand know if the regulators are interchangeable?

use a small vice grips on the vertical rail to hold the window snugly in place. you can even put the door panel back on and drive it all ghetto-rigged. can't do that with a 2x4. ;)

according to autozone.com, the front and rear window motors should be interchangeable; they are the same part number. :)

well i took the regulator out of my spare door, but i was mistaken, it was the rear drivers side, so only a few parts were interchangeable. I took my passenger regulator apart and found pieces of one of the brushes sitting in the bottom of the case which is why i think it doesn't work. the communicator plate was blackened and dull. I swapped the good brushes over from the driver's rear door reg, cleaned up the comm. plate and put the regulator back together and tried to install it. It was a p.i.t.a. to get the motor into the bottom of the cable winder; the screw gear wouldn't turn the winder while i was putting it in. I twisted and jiggled it and the gear finally fell into place. I hooked everything back up and tried it again. The window didn't go up, but it did go down a tiny bit until it reached the bottom of the door. i took the reg motor out again and one of the little brushes was knocked loose. I think i'm going to swap the armature along with the brushes this time and try again. I had just enough time to work the window back up by hand and stick one of those suction cups on you use for picking up glass, pulling dents etc. The rain came shortly afterwards.

for f#ck sakes, all i wanted to do today was wash and wax it :rant2:

Ok, fixed the problem. I didn't use the other armature, I was just more careful puttin. The motor back in. I found it helps to push the window up as you feed the motor into the winder housing. I wAs mistaken in thinking the leads Into the motor. You should have 12v positive and -12v when you toggle the window switch, not 12v positive and 0v when you toggle the switch. That how I discovered I also had a loose connection at the drivers door switch harness. Anyway, I greased up the channel and lift and now it works better than ever.

Now I can finnaly wipe my windows down and put a coat of rainx