Thud or Clunk on Acceleration

sthrnfat

I have read a few posts about the clunk sound that is heard over bumps that is typically the control arm bushings (based on the responses, anyway). I have a 2000 SE and have a low volume 'thud' that happens when i accelerate from a dead stop. I get a single thud about 1/2 a second after I start to accelerate. It is not the shift from 1st to 2nd. Sounds kinda like hitting solid metal with a rubber malette - not a metal on metal kind of sound.

Could this be from the worn bushings too? Sounds almost like the the axle shifting or rotating a little under acceleration? The clunk might be it snapping into place. The sound is still pretty subtle at this point, but is pretty consistent when starting from a dead stop.

I recently mounted up some OME springs and GR-2 struts/shocks, but this was happening before the suspension upgrade. Haven't replaced control arms or any bushings.

Also - can someone point me to the bushings that can be replaced without a press? Want to pick some up to start replacing the old with the new over time, but don't have access to a press. Will likely have to buy the control arms as complete units when the time comes. Any other bushings that can be replaced and can you post a link to a place to pick the particular bushings up?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by sthrnfat

Could be a few things but here are the most likely culprits:

1) U joints in the rear drive shaft

2) Upper control arms

Since you have not mentioned the "bob and weave" problem, the lower control arms are not likely the source. As for the bushings, You need a press for all of the control arms, upper and lower, to replace them. Not that big of an issue if you can get them off an to a local shop for the swap.

I have read a few posts about the clunk sound that is heard over bumps that is typically the control arm bushings (based on the responses, anyway). I have a 2000 SE and have a low volume 'thud' that happens when i accelerate from a dead stop. I get a single thud about 1/2 a second after I start to accelerate. It is not the shift from 1st to 2nd. Sounds kinda like hitting solid metal with a rubber malette - not a metal on metal kind of sound.

Could this be from the worn bushings too? Sounds almost like the the axle shifting or rotating a little under acceleration? The clunk might be it snapping into place. The sound is still pretty subtle at this point, but is pretty consistent when starting from a dead stop.

I recently mounted up some OME springs and GR-2 struts/shocks, but this was happening before the suspension upgrade. Haven't replaced control arms or any bushings.

Also - can someone point me to the bushings that can be replaced without a press? Want to pick some up to start replacing the old with the new over time, but don't have access to a press. Will likely have to buy the control arms as complete units when the time comes. Any other bushings that can be replaced and can you post a link to a place to pick the particular bushings up?

Thanks in advance!

I do have the sway going too. Will plan to replace control arm bushings and see how it goes. Is it worth it to go to poly and who has the best pricing?

Edited by sthrnfat