Door replacement ?

Guest Broncofan

Guest Broncofan

Hi everyone, Just bought a new(used) driver's door. I have power windows, locks, mirrors to transfer over.

I'm having the door painted, should I have the body shop do the install or can I do it myself? Any advice or pointers would be very appreciated!

THe door is easy to replace. Just simply splice in the wires and tape it up good. I reccomend an extra set of hands to hold the door up while bolting up the hinges. Very simple install.

Splicing the wires is kinda a hack job. All the wires go to the different parts inside (window motor, lock) and have plugs a little hard to get to in some cases but something anyone could do with a little patience. Broncofan, I assume you are have a new shell and need to take the guts out of your old door. The mirror is very straightfoward as is the handle and lock; just have to find a good angle to get at those screws. The glass is a little tricky. Just be patient and maybe get a second set of hands to hold the door while you find just the right angle to slide it in. And be careful; just a little chip on the edge of the glass can shatter the whole thing. Good luck. :aok:

be even better to cover the wires in heat shrink tubing for a nice clean tight fit.

I agree ... thats kind of an area that you want to do right the first time so you dont have to go back and do crap over again ... I'd say with the right amount of patience that anybody could do the conversion .... just take your time

How is splicing the wires a hack job? Have you ever installed a used door before? All he needs to do is swap the parts onto the "new" door and match up the bundle of wires. solder, and tape it up.

I've done it twice (Pathy and mom's van). All the electrical componets inside the door have plugs and I just unplugged them leaving the wires hanging from the door frame of the truck. Then I swapped the parts over to the new door, mounted the new door, then plugged it all back in. Never used any wires from the "new" door. I would think that splicing all those wires would actually be more time consuming but maybe I'm misunderstanding something. :shrug: But whatever you've found works for you is cool :beer: