Replacing OE Head Unit

johnm

Hey guys, lots of stuff on here about replacing audio equipment with aftermarket stuff. I'm not much of an audiofile, don't need world class sound, just need it to work. The one in my PF don't work worth a crap, CDs skip, tape player only sorta works, etc.

Anyway, since I'm on a budget, I don't have a bunch of money to spend rewiring the whole audio system. So here's my questions:

1) How bad is the sound with an aftermarket HU with adapters hooked up to factory amps/speakers? Are we talking, "eh, it's ok." or are we talkin', "78 chevy factory FM/AM w/2 speakers and 4 watt output."

2) How much are we talking about to get a decent HU and adapter cables installed? Couple hundred? (I mean, installation cost only).

1) How bad is the sound with an aftermarket HU with adapters hooked up to factory amps/speakers? Are we talking, "eh, it's ok." or are we talkin', "78 chevy factory FM/AM w/2 speakers and 4 watt output."

2) How much are we talking about to get a decent HU and adapter cables installed? Couple hundred? (I mean, installation cost only).

1) Is it Bose? If so, get a stereo with 4 volt preamp outputs (or higher) and you can connect them directly to the integrated amp/speaker input. It sounds as good as the Bose (really Clarion) factory head unit. No need for the integration adapter. I just did this.

2) You can find a decent stereo with 4-5v preamp outputs for under $200. Aren't some places still doing install labor for free if you buy from them? Shouldn't cost more than $50 bucks, plus $40 in accessories (pigtails and cubby). An experienced person with all the parts at hand can do the swap in an hour. I did it myself and due to unrelated problems it took a couple hours.

You can read about me doing it here

http://colinnwn.blogspot.com/2009/06/insta...eo-in-2001.html

http://colinnwn.blogspot.com/2009/06/pione...reo-review.html

First, it is a Bose System.

Second, since I didn't understand what you just said, I better just take it to a sound place. I don't like to admit ignorance, but shoot if I don't know was "4v preamp output" or "integration adapter" is, I probably can't do it myself.

Thanks for the post though, seriously.

• 2 weeks later...