wheels and tires question

what would be the better choice, between 16x8 wheels with 2.5 in backspacing, or 16x8 wheels with 3.75 backspacing? i understand the lower the number, the more it sticks out. but if i get the 2.5 does that mean i would have a better chance of not rubbing the strut?

also, if i get the AC lift and either of those wheels, can i fit 32's? i was looking at the mickey thompson or the dick cepek AT's. i have read so many things on here about being able to and not being able to, i dont know what to think.

any help would be appreciated! :D

• 3 years later...

I have a '98 Pathfinder with a 2.5 suspension lift, aftermarket "american eagle" wheels (15x8) with 33"x12.50R15, they rub only with full turn of the steering while going up or down a hill....

I did cut part of the internal plastic fender in front of the tire.

I have a '98 Pathfinder with a 2.5 suspension lift, aftermarket "american eagle" wheels (15x8) with 33"x12.50R15, they rub only with full turn of the steering while going up or down a hill....

I did cut part of the internal plastic fender in front of the tire.

What is the backspacing on your wheels?

Exit I have a set of 17X9 wheels with 32 inch Dick Cepek mud terrains and only 5" backspacing and they done rub anything.

i notice lower offset wheels dont rub the strut but can rub the mudflaps i have 265 70 16 and didnt rub on anything with stock wheels i got 16x8 pro comp wheels and now there further from the strut but rub the mudflap on full lock.

When I had the 2" lift, I only get rub at full lock on 15x8 AR-23 rims 31" AT tires. Now I'm back to stock springs and with 31" Falken tires (a bit smaller in dia then the GY AT tires), I get slightly rub at full lock too but not as much as with the lift.

Btw, I removed the front mud flap.