Bad smell when reversing in 4wd

abomb1

I've only noticed this smell when I'm in 4wd and trying to get out of something or whatever reason I am going between forward and reverse. Mostly notice it in reverse I think. I have recently changed the transfer case oil, but haven't done the differentials. Could that be the problem?

I haven't looked too hard at how to add oil to the front differential, but the rear looks easy enough and I have seen the drain plug for the front. Where do I find the filler plug for the front and what's the best way to get to it?

Thanks for the help!

That my friend, is almost certainly your clutch burning. Try altering your techique, or when you get stuck, instead of trying to get out, just get your fellow wheelers to give you a tow!!!!

A bit of lost pride is less expensive than a new clutch, and that is one of the hardest situations on a clutch, that repeated engaing and dissengaging between forward and reverse under load makes the lineing get hot and start to burn. Leads to clutch failure in no time at all!!!

i smell some kinda heavy oil smell too. i did the change and the smell has only been since then but less lately. hmm?? id di switch from atf to gear oil though.

the front diff is a bit of a pita but not really. the bolt is in the front and you have to monkey to access it...

i smell some kinda heavy oil smell too. i did the change and the smell has only been since then but less lately. hmm?? id di switch from atf to gear oil though.

the front diff is a bit of a pita but not really. the bolt is in the front and you have to monkey to access it...

Are you sure you didn't spill any oil on something that gets hot?

I hope my problem is solved by changing the differential oil. I can't imagine my clutch would smell like that so fast. I couldn't have switched between forward and reverse more than 2 times before I smelled it. Also, I've never noticed the smell when in 2WD. If it is the clutch, then I don't see how anyone could offroad with a manual transmission. Thanks for the advice though, I'll reply here after changing the differential oil if that helps or not.

Are you sure you didn't spill any oil on something that gets hot?

Oh man, it's been 3k since the change and it still does it, so i don't think it's spillage. but am waiting for results of your fluid change...

clutch smell is kinda like the breaks but more burnt and a bit stronger...

• 2 months later...