Any common ground issues?

pktzygt

I have a 1990 Pathy. When I hit a bump, my head unit cuts off and the tach cuts off for a quick second then both come back on. It is such a short period of time that the tach needle never hits zero. I have a new battery and have cleaned the terminals and cables. I just though someone might know of an issue that would be connecter to both the tach and stereo.

I'm going to go unplug my headunit and drive over some potholes later and see if that takes care of it. I don't think it is the stereo wiring though because I soldered and shrink wrapped everything.

I had a similar problem with my 94. On the positive battery post, there is a few wires going into some small connectors. For me at least, one of the wires was out of the connector, sometimes causing the whole dash and power windows and everything to just go off while the pathy kept on running. Really sucked coming home from church one Sunday in July with the windows up and A/C on, especially because I got to drive another 10 miles on the highway with no power anything and just sitting in a sweat box!

Hope yours works out where that doesn't happen!

Where did you ground the stereo?

I grounded the headunit to one of the supports for the center console. The amp is grounded to one of the rear seat brackets.

Yesterday I pulled and recleaned the wires coming off the battery. I disconnected the amp power at the battery and pulled the headunit and wiggled wires. I nothing yet. The only positive connection that is still connected from the amp is the remote turn-on lead. I'm going to disconnect that and completely remove the amp tonight to see what happens.

I'll start looking at the wires under the passenger side of the hood and see if I have a short in the harness where it goes through the firewall.

Does anyone know of any grounds that go to the engine other than the starter and the little flat braided one on the drivers side (if i remember correctly it went right to the upper side of the block)?