Newbie's pathy just stopped

Path92y

Hello all,

I am hoping for some help or suggestions,

I have had my 1992 Pathy 2wd XE Auto for 6 months, it has about 325,000 miles.

I have not had any problems with it and then today, I was driving through a parking lot

at about 10 mph and it just went dead, with no warning signs, no sputtering, wasn't hot

and I pulled the line off of the top of the fuel filter and it is pumping gas..(I can hear the pump too)

With the basic test light I had, I had juice at the plug that goes into the Dizzy from the coil.

I know there are a ton of places to check, but it got dark and I was wondering if anyone had

any suggestions on the path of least resistance.

Thanks in advance

Dave

Edited by Path92y

Sounds like it wasn't the ignition then. Cables/connections to the battery? Fusable link?

What does it do if you try to start it?

Does the rotor rotate when you try?

If not, that's the timing belt Slick mentioned.

B

Sorry guys I should have been more descriptive.

I'm with you, TB was the first thing that came to mind when it died. Which is why I was hesitant about

trying to restart it, but I did it anyways and it turns over fine and with compression and the rotor does

turn.

It turns over good, I don't know where the fusible link is, so I haven't check it.

I am off tommorow so I am going to dig in. I am going to start with the self diognosis and work my way from

there.

I do consider myself lucky in a way, because I sold my previous 92' pathy to my father in law and he said

I could use it to test out some parts..ie computer and such..

Right now I am guessing that since I have spark and good fuel pressure, that maybe the injectors are firing.

OR .................

Thanks for the responses,

Dave

you say you have good spark.. but just from reading it looks like you chcked to make sure you had voltage there and then stopped. Did you look at the cap and rotor?

sorry if you did.... hard to know from reading. :my2cents:

Edited by beavis0076

Hey guys,

Well, I went out early this morning and did the self Diag. and the only one that kept flashing was 34 (knock sensor)

:huh::(:ohno01::ill::angry::suicide:

could this cause a no start issue?

where the heck is the knock sensor and is it hard to replace?

Searching....

Thanks,

Dave

Edited by Path92y

Well Beavis was right, I have juice going to the cap, but nothing going to the plugs.

I tried a different cap and rotor and still nothing.

Distributor? anyone know how to check to see if it is the dizzy?

Any suggestions on the next step?

I can change parts, I am just bad at figuring out what to fix.

Thanks,

Dave

Thanks slick, looks like that will be on my list of things to replace, but not until I get it running

again.

Any ideas on that dizzy issue?

Thanks again

Dave

i will have to re-read your posts, i just skimmed at the time......... but you say you have strong spark, no iginition tho? correct? coil ok? is the dist spinning? (wingin it here without reading everything 100%)

i will have to re-read your posts, i just skimmed at the time......... but you say you have strong spark, no iginition tho? correct? coil ok? is the dist spinning? (wingin it here without reading everything 100%)

No, he has no spark... but has voltage at the cap.. tried diff caps/ rotors... hmm.... :sssh:

I don't know how to test a dist..... any one else?

Yep, Beavis is right.....

On a side note, I have been trying to start the motor off and on for 2 days now and

when I tried to start it for the first time today, it actually tried to start. By this I mean

it fired for about 3 seconds and then went right back to just turning over without starting.

:suicide::suicide:

Thanks for the help

Yep, Beavis is right.....

On a side note, I have been trying to start the motor off and on for 2 days now and

when I tried to start it for the first time today, it actually tried to start. By this I mean

it fired for about 3 seconds and then went right back to just turning over without starting.

:suicide::suicide:

Thanks for the help

how old is yer fuel filter? have you checked your fuel pump?

The filter was replaced about 6 months ago.

The pump is working the only thing I am not sure of is how much pressure is supposed to be coming

through. I pulled the line from the front side (between filter and injectors) and so when I pulled the line

off the top of the filter and turned on the key it was pumping fuel and it shot up about 3 inches. I don't

know if it should have had more pressure, it seems like it should be higher pressure, but I am thinking

that if the line was connected it would build up the right pressure.

The filter was replaced about 6 months ago.

The pump is working the only thing I am not sure of is how much pressure is supposed to be coming

through. I pulled the line from the front side (between filter and injectors) and so when I pulled the line

off the top of the filter and turned on the key it was pumping fuel and it shot up about 3 inches. I don't

know if it should have had more pressure, it seems like it should be higher pressure, but I am thinking

that if the line was connected it would build up the right pressure.

fuel pressure should be 43 i believe. if i remember right (don't ask drunk people to be precise lol).... i had a bad fuel pump even tho it made "the noise" with iggy on...... it would cut out while running......... then kick in and so on...

when was the last time you changed your plugs/ wires? have you been using oil? how has the truck been running lately? did it have a good amount of power? lacking power? have you done a compression test? sorry for so many questions... but trying to narrow things down.... :scratchhead:

P.S. I am drunk too.. arent you lucky.. 2 drunk people telling you whats wrong with your car :friday: .....lmao! Cheers Slick! :beer:

Edited by beavis0076

Hey thanks slick, I am assuming I would need a fuel pressure gauge to check this and

where would I check it at.

I actually wish the fuel pump was the problem.....But, without spark at the plugs, I think

I have electrical issues and those are the worst for me....

I am actually thinking about swapping out the computer with the other 92' that is available

to just rule out the computer.

Dave

u sure you have No spark??? sometimes its hard to see..... sorry if you are sure.... but thought I would check... have a friend hold his toung to it while you crank it...... no wait... dont do that. LOL..... well, at times like this ... you gotta find the humor... or your screwed.... :chairfall:

edit... not a bad idea to swap ECU's :aok:

Edited by beavis0076

when was the last time you changed your plugs/ wires? have you been using oil? how has the truck been running lately? did it have a good amount of power? lacking power? have you done a compression test? sorry for so many questions... but trying to narrow things down.... :scratchhead:

P.S. I am drunk too.. arent you lucky.. 2 drunk people telling you whats wrong with your car :friday: .....lmao! Cheers Slick! :beer:

I did change the plugs about 6 months ago...Did not do the wires.

Haven't been using oil...

Trucks been running fine...no issues at all...until it died

power was good and consitant....

I have not done a compression check...(I am have been focused on the No juice to plugs issue)

No problem on all the questions...its what I am looking for...

I think I will throw back a 12 pack and go lick some wires for testing.... :friday:

Edited by Path92y

u sure you have No spark??? sometimes its hard to see..... sorry if you are sure.... but thought I would check... have a friend hold his tongue to it while you crank it...... no wait... dint do that. LOL..... well, at times like this ... you gotta find the humor... or your screwed.... :chairfall:

edit... not a bad idea to swap ECU's :aok:

Yea beavis, I actually pulled the wire from the plug and put a volt meter on the plug wire end, while cranking...

Funny you mentioned the tongue trick as I was typing licking the wires... :D

...(I am have been focused on the No juice to plugs issue)

Yes, sorry.. I just thought if you were wrong about the spark.... u might have something else.... but if you are sure u have no spark... after licking them.. lol.. def change the comp.

...(I am have been focused on the No juice to plugs issue)

Yes, sorry.. I just thought if you were wrong about the spark.... u might have something else.... but if you are sure u have no spark... after licking them.. lol.. def change the comp.

I am going to swap the ECU's tommorow and I will give an update then....

I appreciate the help during the happy hour :beer: