Clunk

gardoni

Getting a loudish clunck in the front end, probably right side. Happens sometimes when I brake- usually in reverse. Sometimes when turning the wheel while stopped. Guesses as to what this is? Upper/lower ball joints? CVs? Wheel bearings? Should I knuckle down and just replace all of that?

Many thanks,

-gardoni

Seattle, WA

Don't forget tension rod bushings... ;)

Seriously, jack it up and start tugging/prying as it could be any of them (other than the CV's unless you are in 4x4).

How many miles on the truck and what kind of work has been done up front.

Oh, front cross member can sometimes make clunking noise. Retorque that also.

BG

Will do- thanks. It's a '90 XE with 158k on it. Calmini UCAs that are just a couple of years old. Tie rods were replaced way back in '98 but it hasn't been driven that much or hard at all since then. I've got a sneaking suspicion I may have a nut backing off the UCA at the pivot where it mounts to the frame...

Will do- thanks. It's a '90 XE with 158k on it. Calmini UCAs that are just a couple of years old. Tie rods were replaced way back in '98 but it hasn't been driven that much or hard at all since then. I've got a sneaking suspicion I may have a nut backing off the UCA at the pivot where it mounts to the frame...

Was indeed. Loose nut on the upper link spindle allowing the UCA to slide back and forth along the spindle. Man I love easy (free) fixes!