To gear or not to gear

92Pathmaker

It will cost me about $1000 to gear to 4.9. $700 of that is for labor. While everything is open why not throw in an ARB right, there is another $760.

How much will they help out with torque. I live in the mountains of Colorado and go over passes and big hills on I70 often. I can either be in 3rd at 4000-4500rpm or in 4th with the rpm's falling when climbing on the highway. I would like to be able to stay in 4th.

If this won't help too much what about a Jim Wolfe ECU?? The wife said I can spend some money on the truck so I gota do something.

I was going to put a poll, but it didn't work.

Edited by 92Pathmaker

You can get 4.9 gears for $300?? O:

Can you get me a set??

I think you need to punch this into a gear train calculator for any coherent answer other than "It will help". :shrug:

B

You can get 4.9 gears for $300?? O:

Can you get me a set??

B

Some Junked Xterras and Frontiers have them, and some junk yards will sell them cheap. I got the front R&P for $50 and I will get a third for $250 that way in the swap he will just change the carrier to the ARB and won't have to worry about pinion depth. Then I can sell the 33 spline LSD and make some of the money back.

The 4.9s will get me back to stock. I am wondering if the added weight and drag from 32X11.5 tires will make much of a difference.

Ahh, ok. I'm not up on my mix and match between the models. I plan to stick with the 4.63 (or whatever) gears and 31's.

Of course 32x11.5's will have a little effect, but not enough to matter. People here regularly run 33's with 4.6x gears. You are ahead of the game... ;)

B