four wheel drive problems

Tosh

HUH?

:huh:

Ok i'm confusiin myself too.

Lets start with the front, left CV axle. it is spinning. but it's not spinning the wheel. the joint that attaches the axle to the wheel is broken and clicking.

Now the right front CV. the axle did not spin at all anywhere. and the wheel is not spinning

the left back wheel just moved a little at the begginning then stopped moving

the right back wheel spun constantly.

Is this simply an open rear diff? There maybe nothing wrong there....

I suggest ignoring the rear axle completely until you get all the front axle issues sorted out. Keep focused, one thing at a time.

yeah thats what my dad said too and yes it is an open diff. this summer i'll put lockers on them though

Ok i'm confusiin myself too.

Lets start with the front, left CV axle. it is spinning. but it's not spinning the wheel. the joint that attaches the axle to the wheel is broken and clicking.

Now the right front CV. the axle did not spin at all anywhere. and the wheel is not spinning

the left back wheel just moved a little at the begginning then stopped moving

the right back wheel spun constantly.

Is the entire truck up in the air and you're basically driving it up in the air...?

I'll just throw this in here, if the truck is being driven off the ground.

Left CV axle spins, but not the wheel: 1/2 of the axle is not spinning, is clicking and popping (outer part connecting to the wheel is not turning but the inner part connecting to the diff is turning), so no way to spin the wheel and lock the hub to tell if it's defective or not. If the entire axle is spinning, is clicking and popping anyways, and the wheel is not spinning, bad hub as well as the CV axle. Either way, new axle.

Right CV axle not spinning: bad diff or simply open differential woes.

Drop the truck onto the ground, and only lift the front end off the ground.

Spin the right wheel until the hub locks. If it locks, this should spin the left CV axle. If it doesn't, you have a diff problem. Manually turning a wheel will always spin the other wheel if everything is working properly. Not the case when using the vehicles own power to spin the wheels.

Edited by Kingman

Is the entire truck up in the air and you're basically driving it up in the air...?

I'll just throw this in here, if the truck is being driven off the ground.

Left CV axle spins, but not the wheel: 1/2 of the axle is not spinning, is clicking and popping (outer part connecting to the wheel is not turning but the inner part connecting to the diff is turning), so no way to spin the wheel and lock the hub to tell if it's defective or not. If the entire axle is spinning, is clicking and popping anyways, and the wheel is not spinning, bad hub as well as the CV axle. Either way, new axle.

Right CV axle not spinning: bad diff or simply open differential woes.

Drop the truck onto the ground, and only lift the front end off the ground.

Spin the right wheel until the hub locks. If it locks, this should spin the left CV axle. If it doesn't, you have a diff problem. Manually turning a wheel will always spin the other wheel if everything is working properly. Not the case when using the vehicles own power to spin the wheels.

ok well i went out and did as you said. the hub and the axle is broken on the left side. the right side the hub wouldn't click in at all. so it must be broken too.