front wheel bearings ...

MatterHorn

ok ... I have looked in both my haynes and chilton's manuals and neither one of them says anything about just removing the hub/rotor itself with the inner and outer wheel bearings and all ... so my question is - can I just take the hub/rotor off with the bearings intact, and not have to worry about the spindle or cv shafts?

from what I gather I can, but I am not sure as the manuals are really vague on it. one suggests removing the spindle, drive shaft and everything that goes along with it ... the other doesn't really specify much of anything ...

my guess is, that once get the manual hubs off, get the snap ring off and then take the drive clutch, lock washer and wheel bearing lock nuts out, that I should be able to pull the whole wheel hub/rotor combo out which will allow me to replace the inner and outter bearings and grease seals at the same time I install my new rotors ... am I correct in this? I shouldnt have to pull the spindle or drive axel, and shouldn't the drive axel be supported by the needle bearing in the spindle to help in reassembly?

thanks guys!

whats everyones solution been for the oddball hub nuts? Has anyone found the proper tool for cheap? I've always used a screwdriver and a hammer but it never seems to get them seated properly. P...

whats everyones solution been for the oddball hub nuts? Has anyone found the proper tool for cheap? I've always used a screwdriver and a hammer but it never seems to get them seated properly. P...

oddball? tell me more i surely don't recall any probs...

whats everyones solution been for the oddball hub nuts?  Has anyone found the proper tool for cheap?  I've always used a screwdriver and a hammer but it never seems to get them seated properly. P...

oddball? tell me more i surely don't recall any probs...

The hub nut on these trucks is like a giant threaded washer and has the two holes in it meant for some special tool. I havent been able to find this tool that's supposed to be used at any auto parts store and I'm too cheap/poor to buy one online.