2001 LE Wheels & Tire Upgrade Questions.

Coles722

Hi everyone, I know there are quite few threads on this topic but I had a few other questions...

I am going to be upgrading both my rims & tires shortly...

I am looking to get a more aggressive AT(Grabbers?) or MT(BFG?)tire, in of course the largest size possible on a stock suspension/body.

First question: Would it be best to stick to a 16x7, 16x8 or 17x8? Is a 17x9 at all possible? I currently have the 16' stock LE rims.

I am considering going w/ either the Mickey Thompson Classic II or the Dick Cepek DC-1.(Live in SC, no salt) Any other suggestions welcome....

Second question: From what I gather it seems the largest tire size to fit w/o modification would be 265/70/16 or 265/65/17. Is that correct? Any way to squeeze a 265/75/16 under there? Minor trimming is something I wasnt wanting to do, but for the right tire....

This is mostly for 'looks' I dont plan on doing much, if any Off-Roading in the Pathy so rubbing at flxed states is not an issue....I have a Wrangler on 36's for that....

Thank you for your thoughts & help ahead of time

Edited by Coles722

I can't tell you much about wheel sizing and all that, however, on my Xteraa S/C rims I have 265/65R17 with about a half inch clearance and they are well worn. I think a 265/70R17 would not fit without me purchasing a set of wheel adapters, which I did, to push the wheel about 1.5" from under the lower spring perch. Those wheels are 17x8, but do not stick out very far at all. The stock wheels on my 01 SE stick out far enough where the mounted 255/75R16 have could at least go to a 265 width and at least a 75 ratio at the width, they are clear of the lower spring perch as they sit.

Personally I would go with 16's over 17's, as the cost for rubber is quite a bit cheaper.

I was leaning towards the 16x8's....

Any ideas on the tires? 265/70/16 or do think one can squeeze 75's under there someone....

P.S. Very nice set up there you have on your Pathy! Love the bumper!