R50 Strut clunk?

Nissan3

Hey everyone

Im still having a problem with a clunk in my front end, I replaced the sway bar bushings and links as one link did in fact fail, but i still get a clunk from time to time. I was thinking i just need my front strut assembly rebuilt, new insulators, bearings and such, has anyone had a problem like this? and did the strut rebuild help? The thing is my struts are original but they dont leak and they dont feel soft. any thoughts?

thanks

I used to have a93 before i had a my 92 and the rear struts were bad and would clunk over bumps then the rear sway bar bushings were bad so they cluncked and i just cut it off ha but yeah if u replaced the bushings i bet its the struts. Im surprised they are bad already that car isnt that old.

I used to have a93 before i had a my 92 and the rear struts were bad and would clunk over bumps then the rear sway bar bushings were bad so they cluncked and i just cut it off ha but yeah if u replaced the bushings i bet its the struts. Im surprised they are bad already that car isnt that old.

ya thats what i was thinking too i only got 126km on the truck, my dads 97 pathy i think he replaced the struts at like 140km but i dont know if he had a clunk too. But oh well i might just live with it till the struts need replacing, then i'll throw on some KYB's :aok:

just my 2 cents...could it be your balljoints ?? I know mine does kinda of a clunk when i turn while the terrain is not level....I'm changing them soon, but just wanted to give another tought...

S

I considered ball joints but ruled them out when i jacked up the finder and grabbed the wheel by the top and bottom and felt for play but couldn't feel any, but i need an oil change soon and dont feel like changing it with piles of snow on the ground, so im gonna get a mechanic to see what they think.

I, and a couple of others that I know about, have had similar phantom clunks. Mine was finally traced to a faulty strut bearing. I can't explain the cause exactly, but for about a year i had the funny little clunk. One day i noticed one of my strut bearing was actually torn. I replaced it, and haven't heard the phantom clunk since. Hope this might help. Good luck.

Pete

I considered ball joints but ruled them out when i jacked up the finder and grabbed the wheel by the top and bottom and felt for play but couldn't feel any, but i need an oil change soon and dont feel like changing it with piles of snow on the ground, so im gonna get a mechanic to see what they think.

I am still learning about pathys but this type of test doesn't work that well for some other 4x4s I have had. Maybe that was becuase they were torsion bar, I dunno. If you can find a shop that will do a free inspection, might worth it to remove the guess work.

I, and a couple of others that I know about, have had similar phantom clunks. Mine was finally traced to a faulty strut bearing. I can't explain the cause exactly, but for about a year i had the funny little clunk. One day i noticed one of my strut bearing was actually torn. I replaced it, and haven't heard the phantom clunk since. Hope this might help. Good luck.

Pete

Ya strut bearing is what Im thinkin. I heard that with time the strut bearing can eventually rust out especially in areas where salt is used. But getting your vehicle rust proofed can help slow the process of the bearing rusting, it is also a good lubricant for it, but thats just what i've heard.