Need Tow Hooks for '03 Pathy? Just buy generic ones?

pixel41

I'm looking to put some tow hooks on my '03 Pathy, and everything i'm seeing out there is just a generic looking tow hook. I'm assuming there's no made-for-Pathfinder tow hooks out there? (my buddy has seen them for his Commander, just wondering)

So if I buy a generic one, does anyone have any tips on the best place to mount them? I'm gonna put them on the front and rear.

Thanks

Glenn

whats wrong with your factory hooks? the passenger side factory tow hook is very strong. Dont use the drivers side as people have had problems bending the frame with that one.

Dont use the drivers side as people have had problems bending the frame with that one.

Have they really? I've never heard of anyone having issues. I always use the pass side, as the manual suggests... but I always wondered what the difference actually is.

for the rear, i just put the recovery strap directly into the receiver and use a grade-8 bolt to hold it in place (instead of the normal hitch pin). if you don't have a receiver you could probably just get a generic recovery hook/eyelet, but i'm not really sure there's anywhere to properly mount it; we don't really have a frame to mount anything to...

as for the front, i can give you the two recovery points that i removed when i installed my ARB bumper. they mount to the front subframe via 3 big bolts (in preexisting holes which are also pre-tapped), and are pretty sturdy. i've been yanked out a few times by these.

IMAG0039.jpg

as for the front, i can give you the two recovery points that i removed when i installed my ARB bumper. they mount to the front subframe via 3 big bolts (in preexisting holes which are also pre-tapped), and are pretty sturdy. i've been yanked out a few times by these.

I appreciate the offer alexrex20, I'll save you the trouble though. i'd like to get some of those larger hooked ones, the ones on my front are busted up a bit from some carelessness.

And yeah i was hoping there was a good solution for the rear, sound like it might be difficult though. (I don't have a hitch, probably just go that route)

Appreciate the quick response guys.

And yeah i was hoping there was a good solution for the rear, sound like it might be difficult though. (I don't have a hitch, probably just go that route)

i wouldn't get a receiver hitch simply for a recovery point. all the designs that fit our Pathfinder stick out a ridiculous amount and greatly diminish your departure angle. if you do not tow, and do not plan on towing, but you do go wheeling, i strongly discourage you from getting a receiver hitch.

i prefer closed recovery points. it gets rid of that hassle of making sure the strap does not slip/fall off in between tugs. closed recovery point + shackle = best setup, imo.

i wouldn't get a receiver hitch simply for a recovery point. all the designs that fit our Pathfinder stick out a ridiculous amount and greatly diminish your departure angle. if you do not tow, and do not plan on towing, but you do go wheeling, i strongly discourage you from getting a receiver hitch.

i prefer closed recovery points. it gets rid of that hassle of making sure the strap does not slip/fall off in between tugs. closed recovery point + shackle = best setup, imo.

So on the rear of the Pathy...

(from memory since i'm working at the moment), it seemed like there were some recovery points but they looked like they were up above the bumper, and it looked like if I had someone tow me from there that the strap would push up on the bumper and possibly damage it? Am I not remembering correctly? If that's true, how do others do the back?

The only rear recovery point that I am familiar with, on the R50 is using a hitch.

I don't know much (if anything!) about the points you are talking about, but be careful, as often points like that are only for tiedown purposes, and wont hold for recovery. Hopefully someone who knows more about them can chime in, and let you know more about them.

Before I had the bumper made, I had a hitch, as mentioned it does add some clearance issues, but I used to hit mine off of things all the time... It took it all in stride!

Have they really? I've never heard of anyone having issues. I always use the pass side, as the manual suggests... but I always wondered what the difference actually is.

The guys over at www.pcoa.org.au said that.... (EDIT: vengeful agrees) they all recommend the use of an "equalizer strap"

http://www.pcoa.org.au/forum/viewtopic.php...tow+hook#p20599

http://pcoa.org.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1667

although i now realize that my QX4 hooks look a lot different (and beefier) than the ones shown in pictures off a pathfinder.....

i agree with Pezzy. my rear hitch takes all the impacts in stride, and i've learned to brace myself for and anticipate the crunch and thunk. the only damage i've ever had was the 4-pin connector getting smashed because it was dangling too low. all the hits don't seem to have affected the receiver hitch in the slightest bit.

the clearance issues notwithstanding, there's still the problem of cost. if you can get a used receiver for dirt cheap, then i guess it may be worth it to you. i think they bolt on via 6 or 8 bolts, at two points on the 'frame,' making the hitch a very secure and sturdy recovery point. it just seems a bit overkill to me to buy a receiver for the sole purpose of a rear recovery point.

i know there are the factory slots in the frame which i'm sure are intended for tie-down purposes only, because they are higher up than the bumper and would surely cause the strap/chain to apply pressure on it. i do have bolt-on plates with slots in them, which are actually blocked by the receiver hitch; i think they are the factory rear tow and/or recovery(?) points.

if you were going to spend the money on a receiver hitch for the sole purpose of rear recovery, may i suggest you get a custom tow bar fabricated? it could probably be done for the same cost or a fraction of it, and wouldn't necessarily have to rob that much of your rear clearance (if you don't include the actual receiver, just a recovery point for a shackle or D-ring). you would just need some square tubing or even C-channel or angle iron, and some heavy-gauge steel plate. if you knew how to weld and had a welder/cutter, all it would cost you is that of materials... :)