2002 Pathfinder No Start

Jakebrake

I have a 2002 Pathfinder with 3.5 L V-6 that cranks well but does not want to start. I checked the obvious things like fuses and relays and I could find nothing that looked open or burnt. Can't hear the fuel pump running when key is switched on(don't know if I ever could) so a relay or fuel pump may be at fault. It is a Le model and has a security feature (not sure if it has an immobilizer) that might be causing a problem...Kid lost the key and we had a new key made...don't know if that caused the problem, the Kid said that he first had the problem with the new key after it was made but it eventually did start. Anyone have any ideas? T his vehicle is new to us and I'm not that familiar with it. Thanks for any help.

Can't hear the fuel pump running when key is switched on.

Typically you should be able to hear that.

Fuel pump relay is under the hood (pass side I believe, at least on the 99.5) in one of the black boxes.

When mine went it was somewhat intermittent for a while. Would be a biznitch about starting... then magic, it started. Sometimes it was fine would start right up, other times it would be cranky, and not start at all.

Welcome to NPORA! Drop by the Welcome section and say HI!

did you get the new key at the dealer? If not, that's your problem. I made a spare at the hardware store, it would open the door, would turn over the engine, but it would not start till i put in the dealer supplied key. Sorry, it'll probably cost ya. Good luck and let us know.

Pete

• 4 weeks later...
Typically you should be able to hear that.

Fuel pump relay is under the hood (pass side I believe, at least on the 99.5) in one of the black boxes.

When mine went it was somewhat intermittent for a while. Would be a biznitch about starting... then magic, it started. Sometimes it was fine would start right up, other times it would be cranky, and not start at all.

Welcome to NPORA! Drop by the Welcome section and say HI!

hey pezzy i have the same prob almost that u had on yours , mine is an 02 and 90% of the time it starts with no problem , the other times it will crank than after a few seconds it will start, im thinkin its the same prob u had , how much did u pay for the fuel pump relay? was it easy to change? Did it solve ur problem?

mine didnt totally crap out on me yet it still starts 90% of the time but i would rather fix it before it fully goes if thats what the problem is i got 69k miles btw

Good catch Pete...they 100% have a chip with some sort of value in them...remote starts for our trucks need a key box and a spare OEM key to work.

....that "kid" may not have l-o-s-t the key and is waiting for you to sleep so they can leave you know?! :tongue: