ground issue?

jgt

hi all, I disconnected the (-) terminal on the battery so I could clean my wiper switch assembly. When I went back to reconnect to the battery, I snapped the old terminal. I cut/stripped the old wire and bought a heavy duty terminal replacement at walmart. Now the engine dies immediately after I start it up. Could it be the ground strap that connects onto the negative terminal? It's corroded very badly and btw, what is the purpose of this ground strap? I cleaned everything up and retightened it but it still dies asap. What do you think is my issue? I could buy a new ground cable, but thought I'd save a few bucks as the cable wasn't horrible. thanks guys . -julie

okay, folks help me out here. I think I may have shorted something when I changed the ground cable. I checked the fuel pump fuse and it looks good. My mechanic friend doubts its the fuel pump relay but thinks I shorted a fuse or something. any ideas?

Edited by jgt

figured it!! Was the spring on the ignition switch. Friend helped me trouble shoot it and tapped the end back in place with a hammer and screwdriver, voila. :bounce:

post-2922-1223585613_thumb.jpg

Edited by jgt

The black end of the switch has a spring mechanism and it was slightly sticking out and needed to be flush for maintaining accessory/run positions. I could push it in and out and feel the spring return. I may have pulled it out a little when I removed the covers. The blower and turn signals would work intermittently depending on how the key was engaged. And when Mark looked down and saw that black plastic piece not flush, he knew that was the problem. He just tapped the end to make the contact tight so there was no spring release. Since I've been through 3 ignition switches, I bet that has been the issue everytime.

Here's a guy w/ a 92 rangerover that had the same issue

http://www.jpurnell.com/rr/repairs/IgnitionSwitch.htm

Sorry, I missed this one. What was it doing (or not doing)?

B

Edited by jgt

Ok, thanks for the explanation. The question is why would it keep reoccurring? A lot of vibration from the steering shaft? I know that heavy key collections are attributed to ignition switch failures, but don't know what the failure mode is. Perhaps this is it?

B