Noisy A/C compressor pulley bearing

mmcpeck

I have a '97 Pathy, and the bearing on the pulley in front of the compressor is making a constant grinding noise, whether the clutch on the compressor is engaged or not.

I was under the impression that the pulley could be pulled off and replaced, but a local mechanic is telling me that it needs a whole new compressor because it's all one assembly. The compressor was replaced by Nissan under warranty at about 100k miles, about 60K miles ago, and works fine, A/C blows real cold, clutch engages and disengages no problem.

I was just wondering if it is actually possible to replace just the pulley on the compressor, without having to evacuate the A/C system, pull the compressor off, and then re-charge the system? It just seems rediculous that the entire compressor would have to be replaced, when the only thing wrong is the bearing in the pulley.

Thanks.

It's definitely the compressor pulley. I heard it and checked everything else around, using the long screwdriver trick. Took it in to be diagnosed and they said the same thing, but said that the whole compresssor needs to be replaced because it's all one assembly.

Just figured I'd see if anybody else ever had this problem or knew for a fact if I need to replace the whole compressor.

The dealer told me it will be about $900 with all labor and tax. An aftermarket shop told me about $600 ballpark. I just hate to replace the whole compressor when I know there's nothing wrong with it and it works fine, just for a bearing in the pulley.

Why would Nissan make the compressor like that?