liftin me terrano/what to do?

terraterrano

looking at lifting my 88 terrano more and want articulation what are the ifs like? what will need replacing/changing? if i was to opt for a solid front what works in it has anyone done it or have some pics for me any help would be fantastic cheers

i would say it depends on what you will be using it for and how often you will be using it. If you go on easy and moderate trails, the IFS will be fine. If you frequently go rock crawling and run really difficult terrain, you may want to replace the IFS with a solid axle. Lots of members on the board have replaced the IFS with a solid axle, just go and look in the member's rigs section (mookie, 87pathy, spolar93, steevo are ones i can think of off the top of my head). I think there are 1 or 2 members in the middle of swapping out the front end right (packie88 and nissyota). Trailchaser has one of the most capable IFS terrano/pathfinder on the website. His is a good example of what a WD21 is capable of. TerranoNZ, Simon and 88pathoffroad also have a really sweet IFS terrano/pathfinders too. (sorry if i missed anyone ;))

If you decide to keep your IFS, make sure you upgrade your steering as it is the weakest link in the front end (especially when you have big tires). Just look around the forums to get an idea of what is involved in building up your IFS. If you don't wheel very much on challenging terrain, it's cheaper and less work to keep it IFS.

The rear axle on these trucks is remarkably good for off roading (even better when you add a locking differential). There really isn't much you need to do to them to get good articulation. For starters, you can get rid of the rear sway bar, swap the rear coils out with some Jeep Grand Cherokee front coils (do a search for more info) and put some longer shocks (rancho RS5000 pn# RS5112 are a popular choice) and you are already miles ahead of most leaf-sprung trucks (jeeps, xterras, hardbody pickup) when it comes to rear axle articulation. The best thing is it should cost you less than $150 to do. The rear coils are optional, but you may find yourself dragging the back bumper on stuff without them.

Edited by skrillaguerilla

thanx buddy might look into both abit further i been lookin for a site like this where we all have somethin in common

here is a nice example of the rear flex. Trailchaser's truck with 31" tires: